Jumping

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I have an eight month old pitbull/greyhound mix. She's pretty good, knows how to sit, stay, shake, lay down, but has a wicked short attention span. She gets distracted easily and then she ignores you because she is too focused on the new thing. The biggest problem I am having with her is jumping. She usually does this when people arrive, no matter who it is, she will jump up and get all excited. She's about 60lbs so if she jumps right she can knock you off balance. She'll continue to do it if the person sits down, she'll try to get in their lap and lick their face-which not many people like. Its really embarrassing because I am not in control of her, she won't listen AT ALL when i tell her no. I hate to have to kennel her all the time though when people come over. She's such a social dog- I really want her to just greet people politely. I've tried telling her no, pushing her down. etc...I am sure some of it is just puppy behavior but I'd like to nip it in the bud. Any tips?
THANK YOU!

Watch "The Dog Whisperer" to get ideas.. DO NOT pet her when she jumps,only give attention when all 4 feet are on the floor..

The "Dog Whisperer" is an excellent TV show! Watch it regularly.

Otherwise,

At 8 mos old she is still a PUPPY! You need to establish that you are ALPHA dog NOW. Do not reinforce her "bad" behavior...verbally, socially, physically. Use hand signals and verbal command "NO JUMP". When she starts to jump, hold her down for a few seconds while saying at same time "No JUMP"...the consequence MUST be administered IMMEDIATELY (within 3 to 5 seconds). The hold down is a "time out" for her.

When you observe her behaving, reinforce (reward) her.

If necessary, use a leash on her and when she STARTS to jump, moderately jerk back on leash, apply pressure to her behind while commanding her to "SIT"!

These are just a few techniques that trainers use.

BTW...if your dog is 60# at 8 months old...she is either a Mastiff, Great Dane, or clinically obese...no offense intended...I can't imagine a Greyhound, Pit Bull, or combination thereof weighing that much at 8 months old.

JMO

knee her in the chest and slap her face and push her down and tell her no or no jump or down. Teach her to listen is the biggest hing dont worry about a lot of commands just sit, down and heel is all a dog needs to know.

[/quote] BTW...if your dog is 60# at 8 months old...she is either a Mastiff, Great Dane, or clinically obese...no offense intended...I can't imagine a Greyhound, Pit Bull, or combination thereof weighing that much at 8 months old.

JMO[/quote]

Thanks for all the tips. No offense taken, but she is actually on the skinny side-she's very lanky. Thinking about getting a doggie DNA test just to satisfy my curiosity. Here are some pictures of her.

0291.JPG

259.JPG

032.JPG

043.JPG

100_1863.JPG

100_1868.JPG

Watch the dominatrix on me or the dog. She deals with this problem half of the time.

I wont tolerate a dog jumping on me.. or people who come visit us. I taught all of our dogs to not jump up by simply kneeing them very firmly in the chest and telling them to sit. When they did that, I praised them, and petted them.

Ok...

She has a Greyhound body and a Pit Bull Head. Considering "length" and agility of Greyhound and "stockyness" of Pit Bull...well, you could end up with a powerful, agile dog!

She must be taught manners. Otherwise, you'll end up with a problem child...

On the other hand, she looks like a cuddly lap dog...lol. (For the moment, anyway).

yeah she is quite the lap dog ! (or thinks she is) she is super fast and very strong...the greyhound/pitbull thing is just a guess on my part...we got her when the person in front of us at a stoplight threw her out the car window and sped off! She was only two months old so we have been able to do quite a bit of training with her except the jumping thing!

LoveMoo11":ws6jx0p7 said:
I have an eight month old pitbull/greyhound mix. She's pretty good, knows how to sit, stay, shake, lay down, but has a wicked short attention span. She gets distracted easily and then she ignores you because she is too focused on the new thing. The biggest problem I am having with her is jumping. She usually does this when people arrive, no matter who it is, she will jump up and get all excited. She's about 60lbs so if she jumps right she can knock you off balance. She'll continue to do it if the person sits down, she'll try to get in their lap and lick their face-which not many people like. Its really embarrassing because I am not in control of her, she won't listen AT ALL when i tell her no. I hate to have to kennel her all the time though when people come over. She's such a social dog- I really want her to just greet people politely. I've tried telling her no, pushing her down. etc...I am sure some of it is just puppy behavior but I'd like to nip it in the bud. Any tips?
THANK YOU!

Grab her forelegs and hold her up so she's just standing on her back legs and keep holding her until she gets really uncomfortable. ONLY until she starts getting really uncomfortable standing like that, put her down, and say "down" when you do so. Repeat if necessary.

What mix of dog do you all think she is?? My guess was pitbull/greyhound....I'd love to hear your opinions

put your knee hard into her chest and flip her. You wont hurt her but she will get the idea. The neighbors lab does the same thing and it was running around one day and was jumpin on me non stop. I gave her one hit with the back of my hand (nothign violent just enough to correct her). Now when she jumps near me its more of a hop and its a foot away. She wouldnt jump into me anymore.

I remember when I was a kid we had a dog in the puppy stage and always wanted to jump on you... dad came in off the road one time, and his advice was.... Everytime she jumps on you, step on her back foot (don't crush it obvisouly) and what ever verbal command you are using with her. We said "down" and stepped. It didn't take her very long.

Good luck!

My husband hates indoor dogs, so one of the compromises we made was that my indoor dog does not get on the furniture. Ever. I am glad I did that now because everything seems cleaner. I look at it as also showing her that she is the dog and we are the people, lest she get that confused, especially around my son. She has her pillow she can lay on, but she stays on the floor. Makes it better for visitors, too. She knows that she has to stay on the floor or on her pillow in order to stay in the house.

I broke all of my dogs from jumping by simply being boring yep you heard it. When they jump fold your arms and turn your body. They git the message quick that you will not accept it. I did it with my shepards and my heeler and after a few times of doing that i was to boring for them. Always remain calmg just fold your arms put your head up like you are looking at the ceiling dont say a word it just adds more excitement and just turn around keep doing it till they sit in the floor when they quit jumping and sit give them a treat. Works like a charm.

syork":l9st40hf said:
I broke all of my dogs from jumping by simply being boring yep you heard it. When they jump fold your arms and turn your body. They git the message quick that you will not accept it. I did it with my shepards and my heeler and after a few times of doing that i was to boring for them. Always remain calmg just fold your arms put your head up like you are looking at the ceiling dont say a word it just adds more excitement and just turn around keep doing it till they sit in the floor when they quit jumping and sit give them a treat. Works like a charm.

That's how the dominatrix on me or the dog does it

dun":3tshkjkp said:
syork":3tshkjkp said:

That's where i learned how to do it. It works really well if you have the patience. :nod:

dun":8i640w5x said:
syork":8i640w5x said:

Are turkey feathers involved in this somehow too? :D

MistyMorning":2o2ueutu said:
dun":2o2ueutu said:
syork":2o2ueutu said:

Are turkey feathers involved in this somehow too? :D

HMMMMM, you seem to have a little extra knowledge concerning the dominatrix thing

Latest posts