Joint infection

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score

Another way vultures can kill. They harassed this cow the other evening while calving and slashed the tongue of this calf as he was coming out. I heard a commotion going on in the back so i headed out to see what was going on. The other cows had chased off the birds and calf was safe but had lacerations on his tongue. He was a big boy, over 90 pounds so he took a little time getting up but did nurse by dark. A day and a half later, i go out and the calf could hardly walk. Thats when i noticed his swollen joints.. We scooped him up and took him to the vet Friday morning. They drained 8 joints. Put him back out and he's still good today. The only reason i noticed him so quick was that he was standing and i could see he was stiff legged when he tried to move. If he had been laying down like most newborns, i may not have had his infection treated in time. His saved legs look weird, but he seems to be on the road to recovery.
So, not only do we need to worry about them eating eyes, tongues, backends, now all they need to do is nick them and wait a few days. I hate those birds.

Poor little guy! Glad you may have caught it in time! Dam vultures!
I think that I would be calving in a barn. But you have too many to do that with.

I dont usually worry about the cows, just the heifers. We calve the heifers at the house, and even so those birds will come to the yard and sit in a tree until they see me outside. Something must have tipped the birds off that maybe they had a chance at this cows calf. She was next to the pines and the birds will sit in the trees and wait for an opportunity to move in. They know at what point the cow may not move and will send one in that will get behind the cow where when she's pushing, she wont notice him back there..... I really hate those birds.

3waycross":3gaw0dz0 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3gaw0dz0 said:
Lots of nasty about a buzzard 3way.

I agree but joint ill usually needs to go in thru the navel then spread.
I'm guessing to get a infection of that magnitude you need an opening and to get one at a day and a half old, what opening do you usually have, the navel. Get a nasty gash by a vulture on the tongue at birth, after everything that bird has eaten that day, i'm going to blame it on the bird.

cowgirl8":74r16mso said:
3waycross":74r16mso said:
Red Bull Breeder":74r16mso said:
Lots of nasty about a buzzard 3way.

I agree but joint ill usually needs to go in thru the navel then spread.
I'm guessing to get a infection of that magnitude you need an opening and to get one at a day and a half old, what opening do you usually have, the navel. Get a nasty gash by a vulture on the tongue at birth, after everything that bird has eaten that day, i'm going to blame it on the bird.
Yep, any opening will do to cause septicemia, that will then settle in the joints. Or any organ for that matter!

Latest posts