Johnston grass question.

Help Support CattleToday:

crimsoncrazy

Reaction score
Would you still worry about poisoning from Johnston grass if it already brown and dried up. The lowest temp we've had here is 39 for an hour or two But it's been dry the past month and it's mostly all brown and dried up. Should I still worry about it after a frost/freeze?

Personally, I would t worry about it, if it's brown. I'd hate for you to kill some on my advice though.

Is it in a field that was fertilized and experienced a drought while actively growing? Nitrate and prussic acid usually developes during extended periods without growth.

I have a field that i bale and after i bale it for the last time of the season i turn the cows out on it. Once i see it starting to turn from stress or i pull out before the first frost and i wait 2 maybe 3 weeks and turn back in. I have never had any problems, i have alot of coastal underneath tho

If you got anything green mixed with it, they will most likely avoid it anyway. I turned mine in to my hay meadow last week before the recent rain and I walked it this morning and I didn't see any of the johnson grass chewed off. Send out a test animal or two for a few days before releasing the whole herd if you are worried.

B&M nailed it. Johnson Grass is a problem only if it has been fertilized and stressed (drought). I have Johnson grass that grows wild and my cattle eat it and love it.

Bigfoot":20vuaqa4 said:
I think a frost on it while it's growing can cause you some problems to, not just a dry spell.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/applications/ga ... pk_id=4930

I know a frost can cause trouble. Know a guy had some cows get out, and get in Johnson grass that was growing in a ditch after a frost one was dead the other two were bloated saved one. that's why if I have any Johnson grass I shred it as close to the ground as I can get in the fall.