Johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

desbritt

Reaction score
With the lack of rain in western New York I am reminded of Johnson grass that grew in Alabama and am looking at if it would work up here or even if it would survive the harsh winters. I raise steers and have heard of some of the acidic problems and that makes me worried some. I also do not know if this has to be dry hay only, or is it safe to graze it or also to make baylage

Find something else for your climate. There is a reason JG isn't found in grazing pastures. I have fed lots of it as hay and it has it's place but probably not for you.

I too am looking for alternative grass for grazing , I plant K-31 it comes in great but this year even in the shady areas it went dormant. Where are you in NY ? :welcome:

I am liking "Persist Orchardgrass" holding up pretty well here in Ky under dry conditons.http://www.persistorchardgrass.com/
I have quite abit of Johnson Grass .....I always worry about that prussic acid potential. I never know when its safe to graze. whether its been dry too long or given enough time after it rains, other than that cattle love it and its very nutritional.
As a matter of fact I have thought of spraying it with roundup but I know there are millions of little seeds waiting to come up. I've heard you can graze it hard and it will die out.

well I am in Steamburgh New York not to far from Buffalo. Mainly looking at as for hay or baylage

Latest posts