Johnson Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving my cattle to a new pasture. I also have 2 horses that run in the pasture. I have been feeding the cattle round bales which has a lot of johnson grass mixed in it.
I've been told the johnson grass will hurt the horses.
My question is, is this true and if so what effect will it do to the horses?

Calman":3gb8qfrg said:
I'm thinking of moving my cattle to a new pasture. I also have 2 horses that run in the pasture. I have been feeding the cattle round bales which has a lot of johnson grass mixed in it.
I've been told the johnson grass will hurt the horses.
My question is, is this true and if so what effect will it do to the horses?

Johnson grass (Sorghum halapense)is a common invasive grass that can be a problem to cattle more than horses. If the Johnson grass is droughted, frosted or there is regrowth after it is cut, it can contain toxic levels of cyanide glycosides that are toxic to cattle and ruminants. Horses are not susceptible to plant cyanide poisoning because their digestive system does not rapidly release cyanide from the digested Johnson grass. Eating some Johnson grass is therefore, not likely to cause your horse a problem provided it is not the only grass to graze on. Provide a balanced diet so that the horse is not forced into a situation of eating just Johnson grass. Johnson grass hay should not be fed to horses as there is the potential for causing damage to the nerves of the hind quarters if it is fed for prolonged periods.

Hope this helps

Horses will eat too much of it and bloat. Plain and simple. You let a horse free range on Johnson grass and you'd better have the vet on call. Know a lady that put her horse in a patch of it, and meant to leave it there for a short while. She fell asleep. The horse was laying on its side screaming and ranting which is what awoke her. The same thing happened to a mare who cut across a fence in 1970 in Marshall, Texas. The horse had to be put down and I witness it as a young man. Don't let your horse have Johnson grass unless you can regulate the amount.

Latest posts