Johnny Football-was not.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Pretty bad debut as a starter--the Bengals ate him alive.

All that hype, all that hope, and Johnny Manziel was no better than the other 20 guys the Cleveland Browns have given the ball to since 1999. Instead of providing the Browns a spark and reviving their playoff hopes, he was overmatched and underwhelming in a 30-0 blowout by their intrastate rivals, the Cincinnati Bengals.

Three of Manziel's first four drives were three-and-out. The other ended in an interception telegraphed so badly everyone in the stadium knew it was coming.

USA TODAY
Bengals rough up Manziel, Browns in 30-0 blowout
Forget not leading any scoring drives, Manziel could barely lead them across midfield. One time – once! in a 60-minute game – did the Browns get into Cincinnati territory, and Manziel brought the drive to a crashing halt with his second pick, this one in the end zone.

"Whether you're playing in a Pop Warner league or you're 6 years old playing in the driveway, you can't throw that ball," Manziel said.

He was sacked three times, and harassed all afternoon by a Bengals defense that made no secret it was just itching to take Johnny Football down a notch. They threw Manziel's money rub sign every chance they got, and not even Rey Maualuga's taunting penalty could stop them.

"There was some incentive for us just to show him this isn't college, it's the NFL," Bengals nose tackle Domata Peko said. "You've got grown men chasing after you.

"He has a lot to learn, but he's young. That's what you expect from a young guy."

Not this young guy, however.

Manziel's start was the most eagerly anticipated debut since Tim Tebow was wearing an NFL uniform, the guy who was going to put the brakes on Cleveland's quarterback carousel and give the Browns the bite to match their Dawg Pound fans. He had the credentials, dissecting SEC defenses like they were chemistry class frogs and winning the Heisman Trophy as a freshman.

And oh, did he have the confidence. He was Johnny Football, flashing his money rub sign at every chance, partying in Vegas and flipping off defenses that dared disrespect him. He was so brazen even Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was once forced to concede, "We expect better from him."

Sure, he was a circus. But he was Cleveland's circus, and it couldn't wait for the big tent to go up at FirstEnergy Stadium.

"He's a superstar, and that's what we need," said Jon Lang, who was proudly sporting his No. 2 jersey after scoring last-minute tickets. "Now that they're giving him a chance, I think he's going to go with it."

But go where? Aside from a play or two, Manziel showed little feel for being an NFL quarterback. He stayed in the pocket when he should have moved around. He took off running when he should have stayed put. His timing was off.

He completed 10 passes for 80 yards – most of that coming on a long, but fruitless drive that spanned the end of the third and beginning of the fourth quarters – and his quarterback rating was a measly 27.3.

"I'm not using the rookie excuse," Manziel said. "Yeah, I'm a rookie but that's out the window. I needed to play better. I felt coming into today that I was absolutely prepared. Being out there, I never felt overwhelmed or that it was too much for me.

"You need to play better than the other team, and today I didn't do that."

Maybe we should have seen this coming after Browns coach Mike Pettine stuck with Brian Hoyer over Manziel despite eight interceptions in the previous five games. Or maybe we should have known better than to put faith in any quarterback in Cleveland, where a glance at the jerseys of the fans waiting to enter the stadium tells the city's sorry tale.

Hoyer. Quinn. Weeden. There was even someone bold enough to break out a Tim Couch jersey.

"The bad thing is the result. The worse thing would be not to learn from it," Pettine said. "We have to come out and push through it, and hopefully he'll be better next week."

He can't be much worse.

I had the game on and watched him some. He doesn't have enough arm in my opinion. He's somewhat mobile but doesn't have the body type to take the punishment
He style is Farve like less the arm. I'd compare him to Romo

The convoluted way I became a Bengals fan when they first started. Raised in Seattle I was a huge fan of the Seattle Rainiers of the PCL. They were a farm team for the Cincinnati Reds. So bieng a fan of the Reds it just automatically followed that I was a fan of the Bengals. I warned you it was convoluted.

greybeard":1rte2gco said:
Except Romo and the Cowboys own the NFC East right now, after beating the eagles today.
How bout those Cowboys! I aged a little watching that game last night! I don't know what kind of adjustment Philly made or if the dummy calling plays for Dallas forgot that Murray likes to run off tackle but they sure slowed him down last night.

houstoncutter":29w4sa0u said:
Maybe ol Johnny should tie up to the rights of the name " Johnny Foosball". Lol should seem more appropriate !
He did look like he was doing a poor imitation of Colt McCoy but with a bit more speed and arm. It would help if the "O" line knew how to block. He's still got a lot to learn but still think he'll make it.

Meanwhile, after wasting their 1st round draft pick on a defensive porcelain doll, dropping Case Keenum as "not the answer" then signing every cull and over the hill and non playing backup NFL QB they could find, Houston has just re-signed...........you guessed it------ Case Keenum.
:roll:

Or, they could try the guy that does everything else already...
j9t3cknvnucecbm8q8dv.jpg

greybeard":1udfr77c said:
Meanwhile, after wasting their 1st round draft pick on a defensive porcelain doll, dropping Case Keenum as "not the answer" then signing every cull and over the hill and non playing backup NFL QB they could find, Houston has just re-signed...........you guessed it------ Case Keenum.
:roll:

Poor Savage looked as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar.
You would think the coaching staff of Houston, would have been working him with the first string.
After Mallet going down.
I hope Case sets the woods on fire to just make a fool out of them.

Sadly I'm afraid Case will see a ton of blitzes. He couldn't handle em when he had Kubiak as a coach, yea think Kube might whisper in the defensive coordinators ear about his problem. Hope he proves me wrong. I think will see at least 5 sacks in the first half with him.

Obrien isn't going to announce till Sunday who the QB will be. Keenum or Thad Lewis. I don't remember ever seeing Lewis play anywhere.

That's a stretch CB, especially down on the Raven's end of the field. He scored zero points. All 25 points were scored by the kicker, except the 1 'trick play' touchdown pass thrown by Arian Foster. When you play against an offense as bad as Kubiaks and against just a so-so defense, and your starting qb can't score even one TD, it's not a good sign. Keenum may get there, but he's a long way from there today and I don't think he'll be in a Texan uniform come next season. Houston's D played good, but they knew what Kubiak was going to throw at 'em.

Deja vu too, from Ravens fans.

(from sports illustrated website comments)
Cicada
1 hour ago
somebody save me from Joe Flacco and Gary Kubiak please. those 2 guys are useless. for the second straight week they are screwing up my bets.

but that's it. I wont bet those 2 again for as long as they play together. if Flacco does not have a real good OC he is toast. Kubiak aint nutten.

anyway Baltimore loses today and they are gone..no play offs

greybeard":1tl563af said:
That's a stretch CB, especially down on the Raven's end of the field. He scored zero points. All 25 points were scored by the kicker, except the 1 'trick play' touchdown pass thrown by Arian Foster. When you play against an offense as bad as Kubiaks and against just a so-so defense, and your starting qb can't score even one TD, it's not a good sign. Keenum may get there, but he's a long way from there today and I don't think he'll be in a Texan uniform come next season. Houston's D played good, but they knew what Kubiak was going to throw at 'em.

Deja vu too, from Ravens fans.

(from sports illustrated website comments)
Cicada
1 hour ago
somebody save me from Joe Flacco and Gary Kubiak please. those 2 guys are useless. for the second straight week they are screwing up my bets.

but that's it. I wont bet those 2 again for as long as they play together. if Flacco does not have a real good OC he is toast. Kubiak aint nutten.

anyway Baltimore loses today and they are gone..no play offs

For a guy that hasn't played football in 4 months and was sitting in a deer stand last weekend.
That was pretty kick ass in my book. He did better than both they had riding pine all season.
Aaron Rodgers would have looked like crap behind Houston's linelast year.

Dang good thing they weren't playing a Green Bay type team today huh?
Ravens had only 31 yards in the whole 1st half. That, is really what made Houston win and look "kinda" respectable doing it.

greybeard":3biycu6t said:
Dang good thing they weren't playing a Green Bay type team today huh?
Ravens had only 31 yards in the whole 1st half. That, is really what made Houston win and look "kinda" respectable doing it.

Raven's have a respectable record this year,

They would have beat the Packers that played the Bills last week.
Bet it was tough working Tampa Bay over.

Latest posts