Johne's?

Help Support CattleToday:

The manure from a Johne's positive animal has a sickly sweet smell. Once you've smelled it, you won't forget it.
If an animal is actively shedding, a blood test will confirm quickly. Fecal samples can be done on younger animals to detect the presence of the bacteria before they become full-blown shedders.
Soil pH has a lot to do with how long the bacteria lives. In my area we have a lot of limestone so the bacteria has a shorter survival time.
I've been through it. It's an awful thing to work through. Expensive too with all the testing and selling animals that you don't want to sell.
As for the people where this bull came from, I call BS on them. They're lying to cover their butt and I'd never buy an animal from them again. My exposure came from a registered cow I bought as a yearling. I called the breeder and he immediately started testing his herd. He found several positives and continues to test today. He apologized and wanted to know how to make it right with me.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
The manure from a Johne's positive animal has a sickly sweet smell. Once you've smelled it, you won't forget it.
If an animal is actively shedding, a blood test will confirm quickly. Fecal samples can be done on younger animals to detect the presence of the bacteria before they become full-blown shedders.
Soil pH has a lot to do with how long the bacteria lives. In my area we have a lot of limestone so the bacteria has a shorter survival time.
I've been through it. It's an awful thing to work through. Expensive too with all the testing and selling animals that you don't want to sell.
As for the people where this bull came from, I call BS on them. They're lying to cover their butt and I'd never buy an animal from them again. My exposure came from a registered cow I bought as a yearling. I called the breeder and he immediately started testing his herd. He found several positives and continues to test today. He apologized and wanted to know how to make it right with me.
Just based on your statement and without the results yet, my friends bull doesn't qualify for Johne's. Nuthin' sweet, even sickly sweet about anything spoutin out his rear end. More along the lines of uterine infection, retained placenta, worst case foot rot you've ever dealt with.

greggy said:
Can I ask what is a magnet?
Literally a magnet inserted with a balling gun as a preventative measure against hardware disease (or as a last ditch effort to save a cow/bull that already has it). Cheap insurance in my world, which is why all my cows, bulls & retained heifers get one.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=d61f5405-f104-47ae-8305-f49c1923ce61&sfb=1&itemguid=5735dd93-c53d-4ffe-8cf4-97f316f0cd92&utm_content=37370&ccd=IBSF0001&utm_source=BingAds&utm_medium=shopping&CAWELAID=120295250000212808&catargetid=120295250000077762&CADEVICE=c&msclkid=57acf6a5d3e416dee45fab811d8ed0b0&utm_campaign=F%20Cat%20Dairy%20(1600)%20Supplies%20(1640)%20v2%20PLA&utm_term=1100000397477

greggy said:
Do a Google search and you will be amazed. I found this pic of a magnet that had been removed from a cow (either after slaughter or a necropsy). I've also seen pics posted on Facebook by a mutual friend that has a dairy farm. The amount of metal trapped by the magnet is surreal.

Progression of Johne's isn't always linear. They can appear to get better for a short period of time, but it doesn't last.

TCRanch said:
greggy said:
Do a Google search and you will be amazed. I found this pic of a magnet that had been removed from a cow (either after slaughter or a necropsy). I've also seen pics posted on Facebook by a mutual friend that has a dairy farm. The amount of metal trapped by the magnet is surreal.

Back when I wwas in college, many moons ago, one of my professors had several large frames hanging on the walls around the classroom. Within the frames, like picture frames, were all the items that had been attached to retrieved magnets that had been placed inside some of the dairy cows, at the college. It was pretty interesting, all the odd-ball pieces of metal that they had consumed. From nails to staples to baling twine to little metal bits & pieces.

TCRanch said:
Oh my gosh, he did test positive for Johne's. Maybe the Sustain just slowed it down a little? Definitely not the results she was expecting.

Well...…… that bites. :( Sorry to hear it. At least now they know and they can move forward accordingly.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
He got it from where he was born. Just saying!

Yup. Vet said to contact the breeder. Her dad bought the bull at a registered sale in MO. He's also an attorney (no nasty comments!) so I'm sure he'll have a very candid conversation with the breeder.

Workinonit Farm said:
TCRanch said:
Oh my gosh, he did test positive for Johne's. Maybe the Sustain just slowed it down a little? Definitely not the results she was expecting.

Well...…… that bites. :( Sorry to hear it. At least now they know and they can move forward accordingly.

Bless her heart, she's in a complete state of disbelief and panic. She manages her dad's ranch and they have never bought outside cattle (except for the originals over 30 years ago) and have a sound vaccination program. And she's diligent about rotating pastures, scraping the corrals, keeping everything clean . . . . Just one huge suck!

Buck Randall said:
Progression of Johne's isn't always linear. They can appear to get better for a short period of time, but it doesn't last.

Well that makes sense now. She's just hoping he'll stay somewhat "stabilized" until after the withdrawal period for the Zuprevo (18 days, next sale after that is the 24th).

Workinonit Farm said:
TCRanch said:
greggy said:

Back when I wwas in college, many moons ago, one of my professors had several large frames hanging on the walls around the classroom. Within the frames, like picture frames, were all the items that had been attached to retrieved magnets that had been placed inside some of the dairy cows, at the college. It was pretty interesting, all the odd-ball pieces of metal that they had consumed. From nails to staples to baling twine to little metal bits & pieces.

Just the pics blow me away! It would be very interesting to see the actual magnets. And also disturbing/scary.

TCRanch said:
Workinonit Farm said:
TCRanch said:

Bless her heart, she's in a complete state of disbelief and panic. She manages her dad's ranch and they have never bought outside cattle (except for the originals over 30 years ago) and have a sound vaccination program. And she's diligent about rotating pastures, scraping the corrals, keeping everything clean . . . . Just one huge suck!
If it makes her feel any better, the transmission risk from a bull to the other animals is relatively low. The mature cows are almost certainly fine. A couple years of testing replacement heifers (or the whole cow herd if she wants to be extremely cautious) would probably be enough to be in the clear. There's a good chance none of them will be infected.

Sorry the bull turned out to be positive.
Valley Vet sells a powder called Virkon. I used it after my cow tested positive. I sprayed the pen after I scraped it. Also, if she scrapes her pen she has to be very careful where she dumps the dirt. I was told to dig a hole in an area where the water wouldn't run off and dump my scrapings in the hole then cover it up.
I washed my chute, feed bunks, my skid loader and tires. She will have to think about possible water tank contamination. Don't forget to wash out the trailer after hauling him to the sale. And pay close attention to where she washes the trailer and the run off.
I maybe sound extreme but Johne's put the fear of God in me. I tested for several years after.
TC, if I can help or answer questions, message me.

She needs to make sure all calves that were in the pasture with this bull are sold. Don't keep even one heifer calf. That will be a start on controlling. Hopefully her vet can help her through this. Mine wasn't interested.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
She needs to make sure all calves that were in the pasture with this bull are sold. Don't keep even one heifer calf. That will be a start on controlling. Hopefully her vet can help her through this. Mine wasn't interested.
Thanks for all the support and advice. Our vet is wonderful, actively working with her and one of his first suggestions was not to retain any heifers in that pasture (they ususally retain 30-35 each year).

Latest posts