John Moses Browning

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
John Browning began his career in a small family-run gun business in Ogden Utah. Manufacturing single shot lever-action rifles of John's own design, they soon found the demand for their rifles was far beyond their ability to produce them. When one of these fine weapons was brought to the attention of the owners of the Winchester Firearms, they immediately wanted to buy the rights to produce the fine weapon. This was not only to eliminate competition but also to produce it under the Winchester name. Browning, knowing within himself that he was more interested in designing guns than manufacturing them, accepted Winchester's offers to buy his patented designs. Browning designed the Winchester Models 1885, 1886, 1892, 1894, 1895, 1887,1901 lever action rifles. He is accredited with the invention of the semi-automatic shot gun, pump action shot gun and .22 rifle. Browning invented water-cooled machine guns, the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), and the Colt 1911 style .45 automatic pistol.

My dad bought a Browning 16 gauge semi -automatic back in the early seventies. It is the only gun I have ever been able to hit anything with - course he keeps it stashed away now as it is worth more than anything you might actually kill.

Sounds like you know a bit about guns so here is a shot in the dark. Do you know anything about a gunsmith named J.Henry - I believe he was in Pennsylvania in the 1700's. (No relation to Henry Repeating Arms- I've spoke with them)

He also made the air-cooled 30cal machine gun. I just purchased a 1919a4 30cal "Machine Gun" in a semi-automatic setup.

1919a4left.jpg

Before some of you folks stroke out, It is a semi-auto (only shoots once when you pull the trigger). Looks bad but is nothing more than a semi-auto rifle like you could buy at WalMart.

Latest posts