john deere

Help Support CattleToday:

tommy&april

Reaction score
does anyone have the any of the new john deere 5003 series tractors. im looking at the 5303 4wd with a loader. 64 hp just curious if anyone had one and how they liked it

I bought a 5303 2 wheel drive 2 years ago. Have had no problems with it. It's balanced well. Will hanldle heavy 4x5 bales without one on the back for counter balance. I've been using a 4x4 round baler and a inline square baler behind it and has done just fine. 64 horse and 55 @ the PTO.

I have a 5203 2WD w/loader as well. I like the tractor although it is a little light weight. I had a huge amount of problems with the loader when I first bought it. Over all it has been a very good tractor.

I have a 5203 4wd with loader and mx7 - and I've been happy with it so far. I stacked hay with it a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the way it handled the 5x6's. It looks like it might be easy on the diesel fuel - I'll know more about fuel consumption this fall. I was told that the differance between horse power is the injector pump. Oh yea, ask about the 0% interest if you decide on a new one.

THANKLS FLY GUY...IM TRYING TO DECIDE ON THE 5203 AND THE 5303. NOT SURE YET IF I NEED THAT EXTRA HP OR NOT. HOW DO U LIKE THE SHUTTLE SHIFT ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BY THE LOADER CONTROL. IW OULD RATHER HAVE IT ON THE LEFT HAND OF THE STEERI COLUMN BUT THEY DONT MAKE IT THAT WAY IN THAT SERIES...DOES IT SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM. ASLO WHAT IS TE MX7

The shuttle shift works just fine but I still use the clutch out of habit. I haven't had any trouble with the joystick and shifter being too close to each other. I put a 522 loader on it also which is set up to change from the bucket to a hay fork quickly. The loader can be removed from the tractor easily and goes back on pretty fast. When the loader is removed, be sure to turn the tractor off and release the preasure on the hydrolics before you disconnect the hoses. If you don't, it's prtetty hard to reconnect the hoses!

I had quite a few people tell me that I should go with the 4wd and I've found that to have been a good decision. I have quite a bit of sandy ground snd it sure made a difference while I was stacking hay.

The mx7 is a 7' John Deere brush hog and the 5203 seems to have plenty of power but I haven't had it in thick tall grass yet. What do you plan to use the tractor for?

i am going to use it to haul hay, bush hog, clear some land(with a box blade, just old falen timber and mess. maybe cut and rake with it. general work around the farm..i m def going with 4wd. i was just wondering if it was awkward using the bucket or hay forks and having to release that joystick to chang gears..makes is kinda slow i think.. but i will get used to it when i get it. i liked it cause it had a lot of metal and not fiberglass rounded fenders..looks ike a workhorse

Go with the extra hp. I've had a couple of 60 hp pto tractors and now have a JD 5510 (75 pto hp). It doesn;t use all that much more fuel for light use, but when I get into any heavy work it makes a world of difference on what it can do. Also, 4wd is going to suck a percentage of hp that a 2wd doesn;t so the 4wd would effectivley have less available hp to get work done.

dun":3ko4ip9a said:
Go with the extra hp. I've had a couple of 60 hp pto tractors and now have a JD 5510 (75 pto hp). It doesn;t use all that much more fuel for light use, but when I get into any heavy work it makes a world of difference on what it can do. Also, 4wd is going to suck a percentage of hp that a 2wd doesn;t so the 4wd would effectivley have less available hp to get work done.

It isn't full time 4wd, there is a shift lever to engage and disengage it. I agree with the "more metal" that was one of the reasons I went with John Deere.

dun":2opvd7zb said:

It is rare to have too much horsepower.