Jo - I am taking your advice

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
IMG_20161008_191747596_zpsv9a4twbu.jpg

Good for you! You might as well go pick out a new tractor because you'll be able to pay cash for it with the savings you'll have since you won't be buying any cheese anymore.

Jogeephus":3addkn63 said:
Good for you! You might as well go pick out a new tractor because you'll be able to pay cash for it with the savings you'll have since you won't be buying any cheese anymore.

Lol I am ordering cheese making kit and the chemicals needed lol

When you make your first cheddar you'll have to make some bacon cheddar bread. Stuff is pretty awesome and is about as cheesy as it is baconny.

14485027_936736073099046_1185355958462351267_n.jpg

Jogeephus":2ax1oto7 said:
When you make your first cheddar you'll have to make some bacon cheddar bread. Stuff is pretty awesome and is about as cheesy as it is baconny.

14485027_936736073099046_1185355958462351267_n.jpg

Very nice I will have to try it.. is there a place you recommend ordering the supplies from?

Let me know how it goes Jules, it's something I've thinking about trying it out also, but we eat very little cheese, maybe a pound every couple of weeks. Jo, when you make a batch of cheese how much do you usually make and does it freeze well?

Alan":2wa5kix3 said:
Jo, when you make a batch of cheese how much do you usually make and does it freeze well?

I think it freezes like any other cheese but I don't know why you'd do this because its a lot like salami. I normally work in ten gallon batches and this will yield around 10 lbs of hard cheese or 20 lbs of soft cheese. Normally I'll make the hard cheese then rework the whey and get some soft cheese - maybe another 2-3 lbs. This soft stuff doesn't last that long but normally you want to age the hard cheese and the longer you age it the better it gets so you could just wax it and leave it in a cool room indefinitely and let it age like fine whiskey or wine. There are also some cheeses you don't wax and just hang in your kitchen till you need it.

As much cheese as Sky eats it might take him some time to build up enough to start aging but if he makes it regularly before long he'll have a backlog of cheeses aging. Its not difficult to make, just takes some time and planning.

Alan":2e6bgmec said:
Let me know how it goes Jules, it's something I've thinking about trying it out also, but we eat very little cheese, maybe a pound every couple of weeks. Jo, when you make a batch of cheese how much do you usually make and does it freeze well?

I will do so I have to order the supplies and then ill get cracking at it. I really want to make tons of provolone and smoke it.

Jogeephus":2e6bgmec said:
As much cheese as Sky eats it might take him some time to build up enough to start aging but if he makes it regularly before long he'll have a backlog of cheeses aging. Its not difficult to make, just takes some time and planning.

I will need to spend 2 - 8 hr days starting off to get ahead

Thanks Jo, for what ever reason I didn't think about the aging time. For whatever reason I have an image of Sky licking the bowl after making his first batch of cheese. :yuck: :lol: