jjjj

Help Support CattleToday:

Nada, nothing, zero. Not with that Enlish saddle on him. :lol:

Actually not my kind of horse. Feet are too big to be very nimble.

his feet arnt to big there that size because of his breed im sure you must of know that rite?

western saddles are to heavy for horses.

fletcher":1sgya2t0 said:
the hole point in me asking what you you would pay is to give a an idea.
well to get a idea how much is a good rideable horse worth with no other talents than being a rider around a $1000.00 to 1500.00. but would still be nice to know the average price over there

He likes to jump...but has he been shown by you or anyone else? How's he on trails? How old? Have you had him vet checked? Proven sound? Answer these questions and I could tell you how much I would pay for a good english horse. :) If he hasnt' been shown, but behaves himself on trails I'd pay upwards to $2000.

On this side of the ocean, a horse that rides english, has experience in jumping (and I don't mean just itty bitty 18" cross rails at a trot), and is quiet, sound, and has good manners...well, English hoss prices are crazy. He could go from $1500 to $15,000 - depending on what his owner wanted to get and what someone else was willing to pay.

You have asked an unfair question to most in this group - they are more towards the western riding / pleasure / utility / trail and working - roping or cutting.

Be that as it may the second pic shows his feet gathered too far under him to give a true look at his stance.

If he is sound and passes a vet check - AND you have ridden him under several different situation and you are happy - then let's go from here.

His feet need a good work over - is he wearing anything I cannot tell for sure, but it looks like he is wearing steel. I think your farrier does lousy work.

He looks like he is well put together and has what I call a kind expression - a potentially fair indication of his personality.

You do not say what you want this horse for. Your experience level?

He like to jump - can he clear a 48 inch oxnard with a 36 inch spread? And how is he on in / outs? Straight walls?

His highest comfortable jump capability please.

His overall experience - travel - load - wash - clip - tie?

Hunt? Dressage? Show jumping? Eventing? Etc.

Wins? Awards?

Is he honest when he is on stage in front of a crowd?

You say nervous at times - expand please.

Hate it when folks cut the tail and mane - how is he when they are pulled and ribboned? If you plan to show?

Your comfort level please.

If you plan to simply trail this animal - hack if you prefer - I would suggest he is not out of line at $2K. Or possibly $3K - $5K - dollars not pounds - provided he has some training under him.

He could go higher under the right circumstance. Pricing with what you have provided is very difficult.

Ian Miller bought the famous Big Ben gelding for less than $5K dollars if memory serves me correctly. That horse went on to become world famous and he refused 100's of thousands for him.

How much money will this cost to keep in your part of the world.

I always tell folk the cheapest thing about ANY horse is the purchase price.

I can give you more - showing some folks here a different side of me - so you guys leave me alone - I do cows too!!!!

Some of the finest horsemen and horsewomen in the world ride English - there is true control and true "one with the animal" under some extreme riding conditions. Ride with this saddle through hill and dale at top speed - over fences, rough ground and through water - then hit the stadium to jump fences and clean up for dressage - do this successfuly and you are a true rider capable of riding almost any horse in the world.

You need to provide more before you get more.

Stay well,

Bez!

fletcher":3cxgoagh said:
his feet arnt to big there that size because of his breed im sure you must of know that rite?

western saddles are to heavy for horses.

Fletcher

Your comment shows you do not know this style of riding. The saddles are indeed heavier than English, but they are utilitarion as well - you would be surprised how light they actually are.

Consider it a tool box on legs! Carrying ropes, bedding, food, guns and so on. Horses can carry far more than you might imagine - and I have seen them carry this AND my wife over many fences in the old days.

Bez!

Well it all depends, depending on his training, health and wether or not he's an easy keeper.
Higher level training, totally sound and easy to maintain I'd pay between $3,000 to $4,000.
Lower level training, $2,000 to $3,000
Minimal training, soundness issues, and a hard keeper, $1,000 to $1,500
He's a nice looking horse, his feet are a tad large, as is his head and neck. He's a bit camped under and that could cause some issues later in life, but not always, and he appears to be fairly well balanced. Most likely he'd sell for around $2,500 here.

Nice post Bez!, but you are kinder than I can be. I can see the cob in the head and neck, but to my he really looks out of balance. It looks like two different size horses stuck together, from the wethers forward is out of porpotion with the back half, small hip even for a TB. I do agree the horse needs a new farrier alot more heel on the back end than the front.

No offense to you fletcher, hope this isn't offending just felt the need to throw in my two cents, lots of people being too kind about this horse... I'm not really a jerk :D . If the horse has good habits and is trustworthy than it does not matter what anyone thinks. But in the Pacific Northwest he would probalby sell for $500 to $1000. But not my type of horse.

My wife owns a 18 pound western saddle, your wrong about western saddles being too heavy for a horse.

Alan

My wife owns a 18 pound western saddle, your wrong about western saddles being too heavy for a horse.

What brand is it Alan? I've owned some light synthetics, and loved my Circle Y Park and Trail as well. The heaviest one I ever bought was a costly Textan reiner. I broke into a full sweat just tacking up! Eventually sold all my western saddles for english tack. I don't have anything against western (besides WP!) just not my preferred style of riding anymore.

Alan":fmmcp2ti said:
Nice post Bez!, but you are kinder than I can be. I can see the cob in the head and neck, but to my he really looks out of balance. It looks like two different size horses stuck together, from the wethers forward is out of porpotion with the back half, small hip even for a TB. I do agree the horse needs a new farrier alot more heel on the back end than the front.

No offense to you fletcher, hope this isn't offending just felt the need to throw in my two cents, lots of people being too kind about this horse... I'm not really a jerk :D . If the horse has good habits and is trustworthy than it does not matter what anyone thinks. But in the Pacific Northwest he would probalby sell for $500 to $1000. But not my type of horse.

Alan

Thanks Alan - I try to stay out of the horse area due to the way "horse people" are - and most all of you will know what I mean.

Be that as it may I looked at this guy and agree with almost all of your comments - but - the Cobb is - to my way of thinking an ugly horse - but the good ones just never seem to quit.

I think his expression as I stated - tells me he might get a chance.

Unfortunately Fletch seems to have disappeared with no comment - so until he returns I have to stick with my thoughts. Ugly but potentially a good animal that - if he has what I chatted about - could make a pretty decent pony.

To bad about that pic with him standing funny - if he was stretched out a bit he would look much better.

Bez!

you really dont have a clue we dont all have the money for the ugly show arabs and qh just because you live in amercia and are used to different breeds there is nothing wrong with fletchers hoofs i agree his necks a bit long but i dont care about that you obviously dont know your cobs at all because they have bigger feet and feathers so im goin to delete this thread as i think you all know nothing at all about english horses!!!!!

fletcher":19sl1cgp said:
you really dont have a clue we dont all have the money for the ugly show arabs and qh just because you live in amercia and are used to different breeds there is nothing wrong with fletchers hoofs i agree his necks a bit long but i dont care about that you obviously dont know your cobs at all because they have bigger feet and feathers so im goin to delete this thread as i think you all know nothing at all about english horses!!!!!

Excuse me if I'm wrong here, but I believe you did ask what people would be willing to pay? If you're not willing to listen to what people would pay and the accompanying reasons why, perhaps you ought not to have asked in the first place. Horses are horses regardless of whether they are American, English, German, or French. They are all evaluated on the same basis of conformation and soundness, that is, after all, the basic determination of whether they will provide a long, useful life. The only thing that varies is what they are used for, whether an individual has a use for that purpose, and what a person is willing to pay for them based on that usefulness. Your horse is in serious need of compentent farrier care. I would suggest you get a grip. Just my thoughts.

Im used to english horses and saddle and He looks a nice horse. If your lokking to use him only as a hacking horse then he's fine. If uve riden him and u like him than no one else can put a price on that horse as the prices given would be for a working horse in america where they use their horses for things that you wont. It all depends on how much ur willing to pay. First get him checked by a vet!! How old is he? If he's not a dressage or show horse I wouldnt pay any more than 1200 Pounds that is. But it all depends on how well schooled he is. If he's not that well trained or has some bad habits.

For everyone else, cobs always seem to look badly put together ( just my two pennies worth) but are in general lovely rides.

Latest posts