Jersey steers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

today I found a dairy farmer who milked jerzey cows.He said he would sell the calfs for $25 a head.Does anyone know anything about this breed?Are they better than holstiens for freezer calfs? thanks

[email protected]

I don't have any experience with them, but I've always heard that they have the most tender meat. The only problem is they grow slower and are smaller than hosteins.

that is a good price for them.and they are good on the table. however when they are babies they are not very hardy.and more likely to catch disease.but once you get them going they do fine.keep a close watch on them and hit them with antibiotics at the first sign of trouble.snd you should do fine. good luck

[email protected]

also make sure they are left with the mother long enough to get clostrum. atleast 24 hours.this will help their immune system.and increase their survival rate

[email protected]

> I don't have any experience with
> them, but I've always heard that
> they have the most tender meat.
> The only problem is they grow
> slower and are smaller than
> hosteins. i have been raising holstien steer for the table for 4 years as my 4-h projects and i have to say i would much rather raise them before i would ever raise a jersey steer. the holstiens i have raised are just much better at growing than the jerseys.

[email protected]

Latest posts