jencine 4 recall

Help Support CattleToday:

kansasmale

Reaction score
I searched this forum for this subject, and couldnt find anything. My apologies if it has already been covered.
Last fall put 125 head of 400 weight calves in a smaller feedlot and lost 26 of them. Threw every possible
antibiotic at them, vaccinations, etc, nothing seemed to help. Last week, was at the feed store picking up mineral and got pulled aside by the manager, and introduced to a shering-plough salesman. Turns out one of the vaccines used on my cattle was jencine 4, and we were injecting a virulent form of BVD into them. That sure explains a lot. Feedlot owner has been contacted by the company vet going over records, etc. I understand compensation is coming, but no idea what all that covers. My questions are:
Are any of you going through this? I would like to hear your experiences.
Have any of you ever gone through something like this before? I have never been through anything like this. Im not trying to rip off the company, but along with the death loss, the medicine bill was extremely high trying to save them, not to mention lost performance, feed, etc. Shering-Plough isnt denying that there was a problem with the vaccine, and there has been a recall on the product. Just wondering how all this will play out, and my best way to respond to it.

I read all the stuff on their website about it. Kind of disturbing

Back in the 80s we had a similar problem with a product cattle master 4 made by Elanco . We had 120 steers and lost about 25 . For years after that we didn't vaccinate cattle . Unlike your situation Elanco denied that there was a problem .

I've been using Bovi-Shield 5 gold and think it is a great product .

Larry

kansasmale":29aigsiu said:
I searched this forum for this subject, and couldnt find anything. My apologies if it has already been covered.
Last fall put 125 head of 400 weight calves in a smaller feedlot and lost 26 of them. Threw every possible
antibiotic at them, vaccinations, etc, nothing seemed to help. Last week, was at the feed store picking up mineral and got pulled aside by the manager, and introduced to a shering-plough salesman. Turns out one of the vaccines used on my cattle was jencine 4, and we were injecting a virulent form of BVD into them. That sure explains a lot. Feedlot owner has been contacted by the company vet going over records, etc. I understand compensation is coming, but no idea what all that covers. My questions are:
Are any of you going through this? I would like to hear your experiences.
Have any of you ever gone through something like this before? I have never been through anything like this. Im not trying to rip off the company, but along with the death loss, the medicine bill was extremely high trying to save them, not to mention lost performance, feed, etc. Shering-Plough isnt denying that there was a problem with the vaccine, and there has been a recall on the product. Just wondering how all this will play out, and my best way to respond to it.
kansasmale-

If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that the antibiotic manufacturer IS Shering-Plough? And that they, IN FACT, have admitted liability? This is vital in your approach to the company in regard to retribution and compensation. If you KNOW the facts surrounding the case, a letter of notification to the company alerting them of the problems you have had, with cited expenses, losses, and dates and their products that you used, and the source where you acquired them. Ask them, calmly and non-threateningly(!) to inform you what their procedures are to compensate you for your losses. Have ALL of your losses itemized to the very last factor - animals, dates, amount of vaccine used, sources, - EVERYTHING! Be absolutely certain that you keep a copy of EVERYTHING that you send to them and the dates.

If you are not satisfied with the responses from them in a timely manner, contact an Attorney and let him suggest a few procedures. All of these production companies have Liability Insurance for just such occurrences as this, and you are not obligated to stand these expensive episodes with the manufacturer being liable for their oversights and mistakes.

DOC HARRIS
ps-

Go to "Dogpile.com" , SEARCH Schering-Plough and scroll down to "Intervet - 2008-07-29 Recall Jencine4

Latest posts