Jd 5045E

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Looking at jd 5045 E front end loader hay spikes does anyone on here have one and use it and how do you like it pros and cons. My main concern is any problems with lifting hay bales and if any how heavy are the hay bales that you had problems with.? Any any other advice is helpful.

I have a 5303 which is around 60hp but probably about the same size. Make sure you get one with 4 wheel drive. I feed 4x5 rolls with mine and I always keep a roll on the back if Iam going to be going up and down any steep hills

pricefarm said:
I have a 5303 which is around 60hp but probably about the same size. Make sure you get one with 4 wheel drive. I feed 4x5 rolls with mine and I always keep a roll on the back if Iam going to be going up and down any steep hills
Ok thanks I got approved for one and think I'm gonna get it couldn't pass up the 0 percent interest 84 months and prolly pay it off sooner.

I just got a "used" one myself (70 hours). I think it will work for what I want. I am thinking of adding some fluid to the rear tires to help with counter balance. It can get a little light in the rear. Nice handy little tractor so far though.

I've put about 50 hours on one in the past year haying and moving bales. You definitely want tires filled. Even with tires filled I much prefer my 3020 for moving rounds off a semi.

A 2,000lb round can cause it to tip forward if you become careless even with filled tires.

Beefeater said:
I've put about 50 hours on one in the past year haying and moving bales. You definitely want tires filled. Even with tires filled I much prefer my 3020 for moving rounds off a semi.

A 2,000lb round can cause it to tip forward if you become careless even with filled tires.
Yeah a guy at one dealership told me about the semi unloading I only will unload off gooseneck trailers . How much does it cost for tires filled

Not sure about filling tire cost, not my tractor. Probably a lot more than it should!

I think they just had a 5090R filled and I thought they said around $700.

Bfields30 said:
Beefeater said:

Yeah a guy at one dealership told me about the semi unloading I only will unload off gooseneck trailers . How much does it cost for tires filled
We should get together after you get the tractor bought and I can show you how to fill the tires with water and two gallons of anti-freeze in the tires. Cost what ever the anti-freeze will cost you. PM me

find a place that services semi trucks and see if they have some used antifreeze.. won't hurt the tires if it gets a bit slushy, just don't want it to turn into a block of ice

E series eat their small with gear reduction style starters. Aftermarket starters are about half the cost of JD starters.
Light switch seems to short if you leave the tractor out.
These tractors are light for round bales.

Stocker Steve said:
E series eat their small with gear reduction style starters. Aftermarket starters are about half the cost of JD starters.
Light switch seems to short if you leave the tractor out.
These tractors are light for round bales.
When you say light how light are you talking ?

They are light. I have mine loaded with fluid and also two wheel weights per wheel. Even with that it can get tippy.

I would add the fluid and weights if you could. These smaller 5E tractors aren't meant to be a 4020 replacement. They are a utility tractor and have their right place as long as you know their limitations. The loader will out lift the rear end of the tractor.

I have a 5045d and had a 5045 leased. We use them to drop tabacco sticks have a lift on back move pallets with tobacco bales the weigh 600 pounds. Use sometimes to pull a 4 basket tedder. They are a small light tractor. Bit bigger than a 35 massey. Be careful with anyround bales stay on flat ground