JCL Lodestar 27L

Help Support CattleToday:

topsquar

Reaction score
hello
has any of the Limo breeders out there used semen from this bull, if so what where the calves like. :?: there are no performance figures for him on the Australian Limousin Breedplan, but he has EPDs on LIMI-GENE. ;-)

I,ve got a half sister to him an will Ai her to the Angus Bull In Focus next month for a limflex calf. From the sale catalogs that i get i would say that Lodestar is one of the most widely used Black Limousin bulls . I am planning on using him next year on some of my Angus cows.

hello
has any of the Limo breeders out there used semen from this bull, if so what where the calves like. there are no performance figures for him on the Australian Limousin Breedplan, but he has EPDs on LIMI-GENE.

Lodestar was the top selling semen Limousin bull in the USA in 2006. His calves come easy and grow well. I do not have any of his daughters in production yet so I dont know enough to tell you how they milk yet but from the ones I have seen in production they milk fine. I saw him sell as a yearling bull at the Eden Run /JCL Back to Basics sale in 2002. I bought the JCL Baxter bull in that sale and Baxter was the top selling bull. One reason for that is because Lodestar had to be proven Homo Polled. As far as I can tell Lodestar is a great breeding bull. I have used him heavily in my program. I am also using Auto Dollar General 122R and EXLR Excellante 251L heavily. Neither of these two bulls are on the open market right now. I bought semen packages on both. I have a pic of one of my best Lodestar calves on my website on the donor page. She is the WEHH 216R "Jackpot" female.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

thank you for your replys, you have some nice heifers/cows, JCLC 416N needs some muscle , but the other bulls look very thick and long, :)

Not to dispute Cattleman's post. He obviously has more experience with Lodestar than we do.

We considered Lodestar but passed on him after talking to Herman Symens from Limigene (major AI Limousin stud in the US) and a Texas breeder. Word we got was calves tend to have lots of leather and not a lot of consistency. Plus we needed a little more frame than Lodestar had. I think he is a 6.2 frame.

Farmgirl

Plus we needed a little more frame than Lodestar had. I think he is a 6.2 frame.
Are you saying that Lodestar has a 6.2 frame? Are you saying that you need more frame than a 6.2 Lodestar can give you??

Are you attempting to upgrade your herd's frame score above 6.2?

What is the average frame score of your cow herd now?

Why do you think that you need a HIGHER frame score than 6.2?? Inquiring mind's want to knowl What is the average weight of your brood cow herd?

DOC HARRIS

Why do you think that you need a HIGHER frame score than 6.2??

Yes, that particular cow was less than a 6 frame. Pretty small for a Limousin. About 1200 pounds in good condition.

As I stated, that was not the only reason chose not to use Lodestar.

Farmgirl

Yes, that particular cow was less than a 6 frame. Pretty small for a Limousin. About 1200 pounds in good condition
It seems to me that I have read from several knowledgeable sources that a 1150 - 1350 pound beef brood cow is ideal for standardizing the most profitable size - taking into consideration that the cost of maintaining the mamma cow must be charged against the returns of her calf. A honkin' huge mamma cow consumes a honkin' huge amount of forage in the nine months prior to bringing forth a new, profitable addition to the bottom line of your bank account. The least amount of expense she can cost you - AND STILL PRODUCE A PROFITABLE CALF - the more valuable she is and will remain to be in the production end of your business.

What is the difference in cost to maintain a 1400 lb. cow vs. an 1150 lb. cow??

Increase in cow size of 20%.

Cow feed cost per year ($225 / year. 5% on land cost, plus hay, property tax. etc).

$36.00 for Cow Feed

Run 116 small cows or 100 big cows on the same land and feed!

This just a summary. A little more specificially defined can show Profit per cow per year, if you would care to go that deep into the differences between large vs. smaller size cows. We seem to get hung up on cow size because "pounds" is what 'they' pay for at the market, but there is 'pounds', and then there is "$Profit" at the end of the year!

I am not demeaning Limousin, or ANY other breed of beef cattle, but just thinking a little more deeply about breeds, crossbreeding, and "Profit-Sized" brood cows. With feed costs, Fuel Costs, and ALL overhead expenses what they are, and are GOING to be - it may be time to re-think what we "used to do", and start thinking about what "we ought to do!"

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":hhej92jh said:
With feed costs, Fuel Costs, and ALL overhead expenses what they are, and are GOING to be - it may be time to re-think what we "used to do", and start thinking about what "we ought to do!"

DOC HARRIS
Doc Harris
I believe you are dead @$$ right
Maybe it is time for cow-men to start asking themselves this question.
With feed costs, Fuel Costs, and ALL overhead expenses what they are, and are GOING to be - it may be time to re-think what we "used to do", and start thinking about what "we ought to do!"
The old way may not do it anymore with the new expenses and less income.

Farmgirl said:
Not to dispute Cattleman's post. He obviously has more experience with Lodestar than we do.

We considered Lodestar but passed on him after talking to Herman Symens from Limigene (major AI Limousin stud in the US) and a Texas breeder. Word we got was calves tend to have lots of leather and not a lot of consistency. Plus we needed a little more frame than Lodestar had. I think he is a 6.2 frame.

Farmgirl[/quote
I use Limis on our cross cattle, and I have been shoping for some new bulls. I liked the looks of the Lodestar sons that I looked at, but they all had more frame than I wanted

Latest posts