Japanese Arisaka

Help Support CattleToday:

Parkerson Cattle Co.

Reaction score
I picked up a arisaka t99 WWII rifle at an auction today. Old japanese gun in perfect condition. For 125 bucks I figured it would make a great hog rifle. didn't realize what it was, and had never seen one before. It is a 7.7mm x58 mum still intact. Big surprise when I came home and surfed the web and found it was a ww2 weapon. So the question is, have any of yall ever used one, or know anything about them? Hopefully get to shoot it tomorrow. I think I got away with a steal, because no one at the auction had a clue as to what it was. I think it has an after market stock on it.
gun2.jpg
[/img]
gun.jpg
[/img]

It looks like a replacement stock because of the pistol grip. Ammo used to be hard to find, not sure about now. Main thing to check for is if there are 2 forward locking lugs on the bolt. Some of those Arisakas were made for practice rifles and didn;t have the forward lugs, some were also made with cast iron receivers. In the 50;s and into the early 60s you could find aftermarket triggers with safties but I couldn;t find them anymore 10-15 years ago.
You can make brass for it from 30-06 brass but you may have bulging problrems at eh cartridge base because of the slight difference in diameter. Use .303 brit bullets.
That's off the top of my head. If you need to know more about loading for it I can check Cartridge Conversions and get more data

dun

Thanks, Yes the stock has been replaced, seems to have been sported up a bit with the bolt bent down. I think it was used for target shooting by the previous owners. i've never seen a more clean rifle.

Latest posts