Ivory Bill Woodpecker

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen quite a few brief articles about it, JB. Also, I've been intending to ask you Arkansans if the feds, state gov't. or private groups have all of a sudden attempted to place any new restrictions on what you can and can't do with your older growth timberlands that might be considered to be potential habitat for the woodpeckers -- anybody got any info on that? Since those birds were thought to be extinct for what, 50 or 60 years, I guess it will be surprising if some group or governmental body doesn't propose some sort of major restrictions. An Arkansan version of spotted owl type issues?

Arnold Ziffle":3e417qeg said:
I have seen quite a few brief articles about it, JB. Also, I've been intending to ask you Arkansans if the feds, state gov't. or private groups have all of a sudden attempted to place any new restrictions on what you can and can't do with your older growth timberlands that might be considered to be potential habitat for the woodpeckers -- anybody got any info on that? Since those birds were thought to be extinct for what, 50 or 60 years, I guess it will be surprising if some group or governmental body doesn't propose some sort of major restrictions. An Arkansan version of spotted owl type issues?

Yeah be sure and let us know if they try and place a bunch of restrictions on ya'll. Sure would make shooting one and stuffing it in a hole worth it if one showed back up. Hasn't been one sighted in the Big Thicket in 80 years and life has been just fine without them.

Thgis whole thing is turning into a major fiasco. There are large tracts of ground that you can't even walk in. The government is spending tens of millions of dollars trying to buy everything around this woodpecker. They are bound and determined to destroy the lives of all the locals.

I think it is all a conspiracy. There is a large irriagtion project that is being built ($300m worth). It will pump water out of one of the rivers that supposedly is vital to the woodpecker habitat. When they made the announcement that the woodpecker had been found, on a Friday, part of the announcement was that it wouldn't affect the irragtion project. The following Monday they had an injunction stopping the project. Two months later a judge ruled that the project could go on and the woodpecker hasn't been seen since, but they received such a flood of money that they are trying to keep this thing going.

They have banned some of the farmers around me from planting crops. They are getting real close to our farm. They put a halt to a neighbor cutting timber. All for four seconds of fuzzy film and no photos.....I guess bigfoot is next.

JB

If I ever be seein one in my area, they never be seein one in my area, if ya know what I be meanin. :lol:

I have some friends in Arkansas who are big fans of this woodpecker - they say with the right seasoning that it tastes just like chicken.

Latest posts