ivermectin

Help Support CattleToday:

hd8289

Reaction score
When is the best time to use an ivermectin pour-on? We are thinking about using it on the cows & their calves during pre-conditioning; but since the calves will be with their mamas again for few weeks; wouldn't they be getting an overdose from the dam's milk or is that even an issue.
Thanks
hd8289

I would not hesitate to worm/pour 4-5 mo old calves. 1) They are getting much less milk from mama than you might think and 2) most of the wormers I'm familiar with have a pretty wide tolerance for over dosing. Really important: Check w/ your vet or extension agent for last date to worm in your area. Most areas don't reccomend worming after about the first frost date due to cattle grub migration issues.

Lee

bwranch":1folqb8q said:
I would not hesitate to worm/pour 4-5 mo old calves. 1) They are getting much less milk from mama than you might think and 2) most of the wormers I'm familiar with have a pretty wide tolerance for over dosing. Really important: Check w/ your vet or extension agent for last date to worm in your area. Most areas don't reccomend worming after about the first frost date due to cattle grub migration issues.

Lee
Can you clarify that for me? Are you saying not to worm after the first frost and if so whats a "cattle grub migration Issue"?
Thanks

If grubs are traveling through the body to the cow's back and get killed in the esophagus or other organs, it can kill the cow also.

Of course you can always wait until you feel them under the skin on the back, put the mouth of a coke bottle over them.......give it a sharp hit.........and the grub pops right up in the coke bottle.

Instant fishbait! ;-)

Cattle Grubs are the larvae of the heel fly. Like MikeC said, killing them with systemic wormers when they are traveling through the spinal cord area, etc. can result in toxic reactions and death in the cows. Generally treat before Oct 1 around here. Frost thing is just a timing guideline, I think. Here's a good link. Grub information is on page 15.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/ENTML2/C671.PDF

Lee

MikeC, I thought I was the only one who used that trick. We used to use the small Tropicana bottles to pop'em out with. I'v told people about that but they didn't believe it worked. Glad you were the one to say it. It does work. :idea:

ctlbaron":3a9phda4 said:
MikeC, I thought I was the only one who used that trick. We used to use the small Tropicana bottles to pop'em out with. I'v told people about that but they didn't believe it worked. Glad you were the one to say it. It does work. :idea:

We used to have some of the old large glass coke bottles that were kept specifically for that purpose. Works great but you need a strong stomach.

dun

I believe the final date for this area is Nov 10.
But, it isn't very critical for us because grubs are very rare around here.
Years ago, in Kansas, we used to pop them out. Now I've been told that it is very bad to do that - it can cause a toxin to be released in the cow ?? :shock: ??

Latest posts