Ivermectin use on bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Luckiamute

Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question, but is it safe to use Ivermectin pour-on on bred cows and heifers? Some of my cows have had a lice outbreak the past week or so and was planning to use this. But I couldn't find anything on the packaging or label directions that said whether it was safe -- or not safe -- to use on pregnant animals.

Son of Butch":1omyngv1 said:
Safe on all classes of beef cattle including pg females.
35 day slaughter hold
not for use on Dairy females 20+ months of age and not for use on calves for veal

Ivermectin pour on is 48 days - it's seared in my memory. We once took 2 bulls to the Sale Barn the evening before the sale. Morning of the sale I was in the shower when it dawned on me it hadn't been 48 days & bolted to call the Barn (with a head full of shampoo) because the sale started in 10 minutes. They pulled the bulls, some of our neighbors just happened to be there & loaded them up, brought them back and we sold them 2 weeks later. :dunce:

Per drugs.com:
RESIDUE INFORMATION: Cattle must not be treated within 48 days of slaughter for human consumption. Because a withdrawal time in milk has not been established, do not use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.

TC - You are correct about 48 days slaughter hold on ivermectin... I just looked up wormers online...
Dectomax injectable is 35 days... interestingly online info says that Dectomax pour on is 7 days longer at 42 days
Guess I shouldn't trust my memory on such things.

Son of Butch":32mwmu50 said:
Safe on all classes of beef cattle including pg females.
35 day slaughter hold
not for use on Dairy females 20+ months of age and not for use on calves for veal

Probably the most abused and/or ignored instruction on any wormer. Probably 90% of the dairies down here use it on lactating cattle all the time.

If you don't need to de-worm,I would use something else.Not from the safety factor,but pour-on wormer is getting some bad rep. because of folks not using it correctly and not getting a good kill.Resistance is starting to show up and some of us blame this,in part.
IMO you would do well to use something like DeLice or another product specific for external parasites. Some of these get a broader coverage on the cow because of volume and have a thicker consistancy which will help it be a little more rain-fast.

:2cents:

TCRanch":1tng5nse said:
Son of Butch":1tng5nse said:
TCRanch":1tng5nse said:
And there are no dumb questions :)
Right, but there is such a thing as dumb people asking questions. :)

True!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We've used it on pregnant cows for years with no problems. Asked early on and the vet said it was safe.

I use Cydectin instead of Ivomec but looked at my labels just now. Pour on has no withdrawal but the injectable has a 21 day. Makes me even more convinced that Lucky_P's statements that the injectable is better are correct.

Latest posts