It's Raining...

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Gettin a really nice rain this morning...a week after the last.

Gambled yesterday and put out 6 tons of fertilizer....in a drizzle that barely wet the grass and raining within 5 miles to the south and east......

But today it is finally our turn. Maybe June will turn out to be a wet one....well, it has rained twice in 7 days I guess that already makes it wet. Last year we got 1/10th of an inch between April 29th and June 29th. In 2008, 5/100s between May 27th and August 4th.

Not out of the woods yet, but not in a big thicket etiher... :D

Yeah I was in a real crabby mood yesterday morning. The rain seemed to make it to bout Hwy 60 and just evaporated or moved off to the east. Been raining real good for about 3 hours now and putting down a lot of water. Starting to get some runnoff.

It just keeps comming and keeps comming........Ain't it great! Looks like it might get close to filling up the rain guage. Making up for lost time I suppose.

And here in TN we can't have 3 days in a row it seems without it raining, makes for some hard times to try to get the hay baled. :???:

1982vett":2eb34grb said:
It just keeps comming and keeps comming........Ain't it great! Looks like it might get close to filling up the rain guage. Making up for lost time I suppose.

vet...looking at the radar appears you tanks will all be running over by morning. :nod:

They were all running over by noon except one.
Reeds_Creek_Tank.JPG

Oilfield dug this one about 15 years ago to water frac a well. It really doesn't have a whole lot of drain field plus it does leak down. The creek is out of its bank quite a bit.
0108.JPG

And a group of heifers and a 2 year old bull are trapped on a nole and the creek is just behind them. Really can't see them in the picture but they are just to the left of the tree. I guess that is what I get for not having some "experienced" cows with them.
Trapped_Cattle.jpg

Had a little river running beside the road...
Road.JPG

And this is a slue that the road crosses. It has run full enough to jump the road. It didn't today.
Creek_Crossing.JPG

So far, since about 5:30 this morning, we have had between 3.75 - 5 inches. Two gauges had 4.4, one had 3.75 and one had 5. Biggest rain we've had in at least 3 years.

Keep it there a few days. We have only had three days in a row without rain in over a month. Rains about every other day. Sure need to cut hay.
Is east Texas getting any rain. Sure looks dry there.

kenny thomas":10feh1gm said:
Keep it there a few days. We have only had three days in a row without rain in over a month. Rains about every other day. Sure need to cut hay.
Is east Texas getting any rain. Sure looks dry there.

We had a dry March and April since about the middle of May we have been getting anywhere from a 1/2 to 1 inch every other day which is about normal. We have had about 25 inches so far this year about 8 inches behind we normally average 60 inches a year.

Too wet to bale hay here as well. So far, I'm surround on 2 sides, partly due to water on hwy and the due to a new bridge repair (timeing) and the other bridge is out due to river damage to the columns under the bridge. I'm tired of mud and wold gladly let someone else have a little moisture if they'd like some. It's almost a foot deep in mud in most areas of the cattle pens. Dropping in hay bales just for them to tear up to get up off the mud - $40 per bale hay!!!
Valerie

Been a week since it rained and nothing tips you off about the 5 inches it rained (cept maybe the tanks are full)....No follow up rains and none forecasted for the next 10 days(as of now, subject to change at anytime).......Just fininshed cutting (scrapping :frowns: ) 20 acres of millet that I planted at the end of March. (Dare it to rain on it ;-) ) Might make enough to be $50 a roll hay if it makes a ton an acre.

Latest posts