Its Judging Time

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Heres my herd. Just the 2 of them. Let me know what you think.

Heres the bull. Hes just over 2 and a half. I know hes small, but what do you think of him?
DSCF0307.JPG

Heres the heifer. Shes almost 1 and a half. What do you think?
DSCF0302.JPG

Here is the 2 of them together.
DSCF0291.JPG

Very nice animals. You are off to a great start. I've been breeding Brahmans for 35 years and have had a registered herd for 31 years and I would use your red bull in my red herd. I wish that I had these types of cattle when I started off all those years ago. You keep hanging in there. You will succeed because you love the breed and believe me if you love Brahmans you will stick with them. A old cattleman said to me recently if you had the choice between South Devons,Herefords and Brahmans and you could only keep one breed,which would it be? I answered Brahmans of course. They are the most intelligent of all breeds and I still believe they still have the most to offer the cattle industry, They are the breed that has done an immense amount of good for our cattle industry here in Australia.
Colin

Beautiful pair you have there. Other than a little small on the bull calf, I like em both. I know once things get down to a close tie, the judge might start to pick at things such as how does the hump tie into the neck? (Had a friend get docked at Fort Worth for that) In that aspect, I'm not sure if the bull ties in as nicely as might desire. But that's just a nitpicky little fact. Both of em are real nice and you should do well with them if you don't already. The heifer's very feminine...I wouldn't mind having either of em in my barn.

Well, I have only seen this type of cattle at rodeos and in pictures so I have nothing to say about them. They would likely die in my environment.

You however ....

You have worked very hard with these animals. They look like they are in good shape and they look like you have spent a pile of time with them.

To hell(o) with the animals - they come and go.

Pics say thousands of words.

To you - well done young man! Seems you can work cattle and work them well.

Good on ya'

Bez!

Quite a few American Brahman cattle are post legged. It as well as temperament and doing ability off grass affected a lot of Australian Brahmans when they first were imported over the past 20 years. The Americans seen the Aussies coming and in some cases sold them rubbish. Thankfully the game has been lifted now. Some of the Hudgins type cattle were early maturing and never ended up growing much after two years. There was the occasional temperament problem with them as well. Hudgins type cattle sell well over here nonetheless.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":3cvkoeae said:
Brahmans do survive in snow,they just get a bit longer coat.

We ran a straight week of minus 40 and three of minus 25 - 30. Every time it started to warm up to about minus 15 - 20 we got winds in the 10- 15 knot range driving the wind chill factor way up. Then freezing rain followed for about 4 days. Lousy weather.

I suspect they would not like that - but if they can handle it I am truly impressed. Our own managed but showed me they were not very happy.

Bez!

heres what i think:
looks like the bull wants to hook up and the dame is playing hard to get. typical.

You guys! :lol:

Here I go complimenting a fella' on what a good job he has done and you get to trying to unsettle my stomach.

:p :p

Bez!

Is that really where bologna comes from? In all the research I did before I picked out brahmans I never could find what the hump was good for when it comes to food.

Thanks for all the comments.

TX.. your "Brammers" look great! The bull is small, especially for a Brahman, but he's built nice. He'd be really good on a set of rangy Continental cows.

The heifer is nice. I much prefer a moderate frame on a Brahman especially, although that's not what you see in the show ring.

You've obviously spent a lot of time on the pair of them, you've done really well! You should be proud of yourself.