It's finally here

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":3odyrvv6 said:
TexasBred":3odyrvv6 said:
hurleyjd":3odyrvv6 said:
At what age is the best time to brand a calf to avoid any damage to the tender skin and tissue.
Don't forget..... you don't want to damage the hair either. :shock:

Thanks TB for reminding me, you always come through. I did talk to the vet and he said that about 200 lbs is the smallest he would brand. Why because of the tissue damage that could occur. About 3 seconds would be the time to keep the iron on the skin.
Depends on time of year and how thick the hair is. Often will take 5 seconds to get a good complete brand.

We clip all of ours before we brand them. I think it really helps cut down on blotching.

Yes, that would be the ideal way to brand...
Our smaller brand i held on for 9 seconds, it would usually get a good burn, but sometimes i'd have to spot burn at the top or bottom. This new one, i held on for the count of 4. But, i find if i bump the brand on first, let the calf jump and get it all out of their system, then slowly press it back on, they seldom fought it.

Very nice. L&H is a great company. I have bought freeze brand irons from them several times.

One thing to remember when you brand a young calf. The brand will grow as the calf grows. There are some bulls in our area who were branded on their side when they were a calf. As adults, it is almost 2 feet wide. It is a brand you can't miss.

The small brand we had is perfect for calves. Its not as hot and the elements were small. If you're just wanting to mark the calf before sale, just a tap with it and the calf would be marked for at least a year or longer. I think on a baby, i'd hold it down just enough to burn to the skin but not to the stage where the skin is bare like you would to scar a larger animal...We were kind of thinking of doing this when we castrate, but its dead now so we'll probably not do it with this bigger one..

Latest posts