It's been a while..

Help Support CattleToday:

txag

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted any pics here. It was so dry & depressing the last two years that I didn't even want to take any pictures, much less post them on the internet. We've been very fortunate to receive much needed rain through the spring & summer this year. The pastures look great & the barns are full of hay again. Just thought I'd share a few pics that I snapped this afternoon.

A bred baldie:

1.jpg

The rest all are all newly weaned heifers:

baldies:

2.jpg

3.jpg

One of our black brangus bulls carries the red gene, so we get some red baldies, too:

4.jpg

6.jpg

a 3/4 brangus:

7.jpg

A few registered heifers in here, too:

5.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Very well-developed and phenotypically selected cattle, txag! In a cross section of a herd that size, one would expect to see one or two with undesirable phenotype characteristics, but these are well presented and correct. Good job.

Here is a suggestion for you to consider: With the moisure level this year and the grass in good condition, you might swath graze as long as possible this fall, and save your hay in case you hit a bad dry spell down the line. It would be a good time to experiment with rotation grazing if you haven't tried it. Just a thought!

DOC HARRIS

Welcome back, lady, I've been missing your pics. Cattle look outstanding as always, are the baldies brangusxherefords?

Wow, what nice heifers. As I am still very much a beginner I am starting to see what makes a good heifer (with some educational help from Knersie and others).

I was downloading pictures from my camera tonight and had a recent pic of one of my own heifers that I was thinking was pretty good. However I see next to yours she doesn't look quite so good.

For reference, here is the photo of mine. don't mean to steal your thread, I just find the comparison to yours informative for my learning and maybe other beginners can see the differences I do.

Are those in your registered photo pure Herefords? Glad you are getting some rain and better pastures.

One of my own heifers. Not up to the quality of yours. Thanks again for the great photos of some good looking heifers. Jim

IMG_1727_T21Heifer083010.jpg

wow i just keep coming back to look at your girls .purebred and cross ,they are all quality!!!

pdfangus":2nyv2223 said:
Jim,

your heifer is not bad either but you did not catch her in a position to shed a good light on her. :clap:

Jim your heifer I THINK is a different kind. Yours is a very good and dont think otherwise.

Welcome back txag, always like your pics. That first hereford heifer sure looks to have a really wide chest floor in her. But I think I like the crossbreds the best.

Very very very nice cattle. I'd make sure they stayed out by the highway. Now where did you get all that pretty green grass. ;-)

IMG_2270-1.jpg

Not quite as shiny as yours but here's some similar heifers at my place-the kicker is I'm 500 miles north of the U'S border.The heifer with the cropped ear was born in june last year but nipped an ear out grazing with her mother in -55 windchill that hit us in early December. I bred these baldies and brockles to my horned hereford bull Lad. They are the result of a promiscious rodeo bull taking matters into his own for a week or so. They turned out better than I thought they would-one thing I did notice is they have very few flies on them.

Northern Rancher":1lmc3rq3 said:
IMG_2270-1.jpg

Not quite as shiny as yours but here's some similar heifers at my place-the kicker is I'm 500 miles north of the U'S border.The heifer with the cropped ear was born in june last year but nipped an ear out grazing with her mother in -55 windchill that hit us in early December. I bred these baldies and brockles to my horned hereford bull Lad. They are the result of a promiscious rodeo bull taking matters into his own for a week or so. They turned out better than I thought they would-one thing I did notice is they have very few flies on them.

You better wear your "Track" shoes to tag their calves :lol: Pretty good looking girls for an accident. They oughta throw some dandies with that Lad bull.

It was a very pleasant surprise to see "txag" posted again, yes it's it's been a while. I'm very impressed with your stock, I'm really liking your Hereford heifers. While they all look to be top notch stock, maybe it was the color of the last two heifers that caught my eye.

Nice to see you post again,
Alan

Northern Rancher":37wu33kf said:
IMG_2270-1.jpg

a oily secretion helps with the insects and makes their coat shine.. good looking bunch :cowboy:

IMG_2035.jpg

Few more-you can see our drought has broke with a vengeance here too-there are thousands of Canada Geese staging here right now-kind of means a good grass year is winding down. I even have a tiger stripe.