it makes me sad

Help Support CattleToday:

susiq

Reaction score
It makes me sad when we have spent 9 months with calves and then to sell them to feedlots. We took our calves to market today. I know that is what we are in the business to do but it still makes me sad. We get up close and personal with our babies. It is hard not to when you feed them twice a day the last month or so. Some come up for you to pet them and just being around their personalities. Anyway I just wanted to share my day with those cattle forum friends that I read more than I write to.

:( Chyrle

SusiQ, I understand how you feel. It is hard to spend any length of time feeding and taking care of an animal and then have to load that animal up and not be able to see him or her again. I wish I had better words of support and encouragement for you, but I don't. All I can tell you is it will get better. Hang in there, hon! :heart:

I read on here, one time , about a women who said she prayed for her calves when she sold them--- seemed to help her.

Just realize most of us go through the same emotions, but we guys just don't talk about it much. We have to be tough!!!

jw":1c2qnp0d said:
Just realize most of us go through the same emotions, but we guys just don't talk about it much. We have to be tough!!!

Very valid point and one worth remembering as it tends to get lost.

The grandbabies take it the hardest at my house. They still ask when they come out where _____ is??? Or why we had to sell them. They help name the calves, feed them, and try riding them. I tell them they went to a new pasture to grow up. Can't think about it much or this grandma would be sad too.

Just keep thinking about the new calves that will be coming in a couple of months, that alwasy cheers up my wife.

dun

We just sold one of our twins that we bottle fed a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure some people on here remember when I posted about "Annie" being born. Someone on here actually suggested the name "Annie". She was so sweet, she would run up to us anytime we went out to feed. I had actually halter trained her too. When I had to take her halter off and load her on the trailer I started crying. She turned around and looked out the back of the trailer, I couldn't take it. But she was most likely a freemartin or else she would have stayed around. We're in the business to sell calves and it was time for her to go. It's hard sometimes, but yoiu have to remember why you have them. SO believe me, I understand what your talking about. On the upside - she brought the highest CWT amount of all the calves I sold that day and second highest $ amount. Her brother was 100 lbs heavier and brought the highest $ amount.

Susiq,
Like everyone else I know how you feel too. I've seen a few orphans go down the road and it is always a sad day. Not as bad as cow shipping day though.
denoginnizer mentioned that there was a woman that prays for her calves, I do that too. I ask God to take care of them and remind myself that they are His animals not mine, they were just in my care for a short time.
When I was a kid my mother used to tell me that I could keep the calf if I sold the cow. That the only reason the cow could stay was because her calf paid her bill. It's still true.
You are a better with cattle because you do care. Caring about your animals is an asset not a liability. Take care, have your tears and then look forward to the next group!

Chyrle,

Seems like there are several sentimental ones on this board. I too drive off from the sale barn bawling like a baby every single time I take calves in for auction. You'd think it would get easier, but it never does. Thank goodness I only do it twice a year.

Sorry for your tough day. :heart:

Cindy

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":10v1oepi said:
This may sound sick and twisted but I sell the heifer calves at weaning for breeding stock and the bull calves I steer and sell them for freezer beef. The sick and twisted part is that when im out checking the cows and Im talking to them. I say to the bull calves. You sure are a cute little bull calf you are gonna wind up in someones freezer yes you are. Luckily they dont understand what im saying or there wouldnt be a fence in the world that could keep em in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I sat here crying through each and every response. It makes me feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one that is a softy toward our animals. The story about Annie just really sent me into tears. Wow that would have been tough if not impossible.

chyrle

bullred":2lkp2lnl said:
The check always cheers me up, and a nice 1-1/2" ribeye cooked medium rare helps sooth my "feelings" as well.

CJ

I with you Red on this, that foldin money they bring sure put a smile on your face.
What is amazing is to read all this touchy feely stuff that is popping up more and more on this board, need to decide if your a rancher/ Cattlemen in the biz or a pet owner. A lot of you sound like pet owners.

Oooooh Caustic... :D

They're my babies while I'm raising them. The trucker does wait until I'm in the house before he leaves, but the trucker does leave. I wipe my tears and put a steak on for supper.

A little bit of soft heartedness isn't all bad. I do know why I'm in the business though. :D

Caustic Burno":3szgndlk said:
What is amazing is to read all this touchy feely stuff that is popping up more and more on this board, need to decide if your a rancher/ Cattlemen in the biz or a pet owner. A lot of you sound like pet owners.

I'm in the business of raising cattle for a profit, but that doesn't mean that I have to become an unfeeling, insensitive automaton in order to accomplish my goals. Just my thoughts.

Gotta agree with caustic, raising cattle ain't like pets. Cows as pets will get you hurt at a feed bunk or one wanting to play. I never name any of them. They just get numbers, although my son does call #201 T-Bone. ( its going in the freezer in march). If you always look at them as what their purpose is for, you won't get as attached to them. Giving them names adds more of a personality to them.

I agree 100%, however, that doesn't mean that I don't feel a certain sadness when a good cow, who has provided me/us with many, many good calves over the years, finally breaks down for whatever reason and has to be shipped. It doesn't mean that I don't feel a certain sadness when a bottle baby that has done his/her job, achieves the weight goals set out for him/her and, as a result, gets shipped. I know what their job is and I accept that, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel a certain amount of regret when their ability to produce ends and they are shipped. In my mind being a rancher does not mean I have to be unfeeling or uncaring, it just means I have to understand the nature of the business, accept it, and be able to do what has to be done. I CAN do that. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts