It could only happen to Me.

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
I was bushing hogging around my house with my 50 8n. When suddenly a loud noise skipping sputtering and it quit! :shock: The I hear the dreeded sound of water running and starting to boil. :x My head drops in anguish, so I hop off and take a look. Left side of motor ok no rods through the side wall :D . Go around to the right side no rods through that side either. :D But I am seeing water coming from the radiator, I get down and look and there it it is a gash about 2 inches long in the center bottum area just a pooring water :mad: (Rad is only 2 yo). Strange right side plugg wires are ripped out of distributor. Stratching my head I just don't get it. :? What would do this?? I am lost at this point how did something from the engine side blow out the from to tear the rad up.

Then I see it, and I realize "only me, this could only happen to me." A blade came off the fan, not at the rivets but just broke about a third of the way up the blade, came apart. :bang:

Yes sir. Been there, done that. Consider yourself lucky that no one was standing beside the tractor when it happened. Never happened to me on a tractor but twice on a car (race car).

denvermartinfarms":yhwppyi6 said:
Do you think it's worth fixing? I have real nice 8n that I paid 800$ for that I have spent 1000$ keeping it going.

Don't know, I guess I have to let loose of the purse strings a little. If I can soodder it from leaking maybe, it just runs so good, and easy to drive

I probably have a fan here--got 3 junk 2n/9ns I keep for parts. If you can't find what you need locally, shoot me a PM, and I'll get one boxed up to send to you, tho you would probably want a newer radiator than using one that is oem and 50+ years old.

btw Hook. It won't spin a bearing--it will just ruin a cylinder sleeve or 2 and sieze up from being too hot.

greybeard":2a0i1zev said:
I probably have a fan here--got 3 junk 2n/9ns I keep for parts. If you can't find what you need locally, shoot me a PM, and I'll get one boxed up to send to you, tho you would probably want a newer radiator than using one that is oem and 50+ years old.

btw Hook. It won't spin a bearing--it will just ruin a cylinder sleeve or 2 and sieze up from being too hot.
You don't have a grill for an 8n do you?

I did not have a usable grill--informed DMF by PM yesterday.
I have your fan tho--took it off a 9n. Should be the same as 8n--4 blades at a funny angle. Didn't get pics yet. I even got the bolts. Rusty, but I don't see any cracks or bent blades.

Latest posts