It ain't hornets

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen a tiny insect - beetle type thing - that is about the size of a fire ant that spits out an acid that burns like a yellow jacket sting? Been working in Hades lately and I've run into one of these devils every day so far and they hurt almost as much as a yellow jacket sting and will burn for several minutes. I can't really describe what they look like because I smash them on reflex as soon as they set fire to me but all I can really describe is the smashed carcass looks beetle-like and no bigger than an ant. Any ideas what this creature from he77 might be called?

Jogeephus":1xazudfc said:
Anyone ever seen a tiny insect - beetle type thing - that is about the size of a fire ant that spits out an acid that burns like a yellow jacket sting? Been working in Hades lately and I've run into one of these devils every day so far and they hurt almost as much as a yellow jacket sting and will burn for several minutes. I can't really describe what they look like because I smash them on reflex as soon as they set fire to me but all I can really describe is the smashed carcass looks beetle-like and no bigger than an ant. Any ideas what this creature from he77 might be called?

Bombardier beetle

slick4591":zwptds0l said:
Could this be your guy?

There are kids that look at this board.....

Jo, the thing that's getting you, is it black? I got stung and my son got stung by something that was small and black, hurt like he//, too. Also, I have seen a couple of mini hornets this year as well.

What we call sweat bees here are smaller and almost look like a fat ant with wings. I can't get a pic with my phone. They love to get in the crease of you elbow, knees, etc and bite when you bend. They hurt quite a bit for a few minutes.

Bestoutwest":1w4uhexo said:
slick4591":1w4uhexo said:
Could this be your guy?

Jo, the thing that's getting you, is it black? I got stung and my son got stung by something that was small and black, hurt like he//, too. Also, I have seen a couple of mini hornets this year as well.

Wasn't a pi$$ ant for sure. I don't think it was a bombardier beetle because there was no stench and those pictured look to big. It was like you say, small and black and hurt like hades. Felt almost as bad as a yellow jacket but the pain subsided in about five minutes leaving only minimal swelling. It feel like and acid burn but no smell to it. I hope I don't see any more of these.

We also have a tiny caterpillar that comes out this time of year. They like to get on twigs and leaves and they will drop on you and begin stinging you. They are only about a quarter inch long which makes them hard to find and usually by the time you've found it he's stung your several times. I don't think this is a sweat bee either. Don't think it has wings but after smashing them I can't be positive. I just know these buggers hurt and its the first I've run across them but I am working in hades right now and I'm pretty sure I smelled some burnt black powder from the battle of Gettysburg the other day because its so thick I'm having to breathe air that I figure is over 150 years old.

skyhightree1":27nfypko said:
Jogeephus":27nfypko said:

Bombardier beetle

Sky, can these things be tiny .... like the size of an ant but maybe even a hair bit smaller?

Jogeephus":23ufc9g2 said:
Bestoutwest":23ufc9g2 said:
slick4591":23ufc9g2 said:
Could this be your guy?

Wasn't a pi$$ ant for sure. I don't think it was a bombardier beetle because there was no stench and those pictured look to big. It was like you say, small and black and hurt like hades. Felt almost as bad as a yellow jacket but the pain subsided in about five minutes leaving only minimal swelling. It feel like and acid burn but no smell to it. I hope I don't see any more of these.

We also have a tiny caterpillar that comes out this time of year. They like to get on twigs and leaves and they will drop on you and begin stinging you. They are only about a quarter inch long which makes them hard to find and usually by the time you've found it he's stung your several times. I don't think this is a sweat bee either. Don't think it has wings but after smashing them I can't be positive. I just know these buggers hurt and its the first I've run across them but I am working in hades right now and I'm pretty sure I smelled some burnt black powder from the battle of Gettysburg the other day because its so thick I'm having to breathe air that I figure is over 150 years old.

You hiring? I've been looking for something more fun than building fence all day. :lol:

Latest posts