It’s been a day...

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Left for work at 4:30 this morning. Went to help around lunch to move auger and combine. Cows are out. Got back in. Fixed fence. Came back to farm to grab more equipment. Got call, cows are out again. Grabbed panels, we're just going to haul to stalks, his dad was going to be on his way with trailer. Get to cattle, all of them are out. Got call, new cattle are out 29 miles away. So no bueno on the trailer arriving.

So current situation...
<a href="https://ibb.co/kNtOOA"><im...9-4-A38-83-C6-95-DEAB093313" border="0"></a>
I'm babysitting cattle in the middle of a gravel road. My husband is now coming back with trailer but not before helping his dad get the others in. I need a beer.

Here's your link
http://preview.ibb.co/nQMoqq/3-F51-F1-C ... 093313.jpg

I've had those days too
wanted to go to an auction, get a call from my neighbor. bull is at their fence, he's behaving but their ram is having a conniption about it!.. so go over there, assess.. go back home, close some gates, open other gates then go to look for the bull.. can't find him anywhere anymore.. I did find that he was about a mile up the road at some point that night and was on his way back
Somehow a 2400 lb bull snuck by me and we crossed paths.. he was waiting at home!

That should have been quite a busy day!
We usually have trouble when the first snow appears. Last year on the first day with snow went to check all herds. All weaned heifers were out and hiding in the forest, bulls were all out. A couple cows were out too. Luckily all were easy to get into their pastures.
However, the biggest problem here is one neighbour's cattle. Like this morning, I was happily sleeping, when my mum almost run into my room and asked if we have any red with white weaned heifers. I said no, we've only red, yellow and black. Then she said that there is one red and white animal standing next to our heifers pasture, which we can see from or house window. Yeah, had to wake up quickly and sit on the quad to move that one and another- black dairy bulls away from our little girls. Been busy with the whole herd of bulls and cows with calves since September and not just we, but our another neighbour too.
But thankfully, our cattle are pretty good at staying in. It's been several years since we had abit more serious escape when had to search for the herd.

We don't generally have problems. A high speed chase that ensued thru our stalks had one fence down. Then we bought some bred old cows from Oklahoma that are meaner than the devil himself and they don't know that a hot fence is suppose to keep them in. We had to haul two more tanks out to field so the dummies could locate water.

The ones in the road were our heifers and they're cake broke. Fortunately, they sat around and waited for us to unload the panels and then moved right on in. I'm sitting here with the corn head waiting on the combine right now... more than 24 hours after planning to be here, waiting on combine. The fiasco yesterday left us yet another day behind schedule. We'll be combining right up to calving at this point.

Nesikep":29vp3hul said:
there are no words that get you out of bed faster than "The cows are out".. been there a number of times!
So true. Phone rang that night about 10 till 10 and I said "NO! Don't answer it, we have cows out again!" And he laughed. Thankfully, it was not.

Shout out to the guys who call to let us know though. The one guy helped set up panels which was awful kind of him. We'd have done the same and I suppose a lot of folks do but it was a small relief for me because some of those panels weigh a heck of a lot more than I do.

Latest posts