Is this nut sedge?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got about 15 acres of low lying ground. Seems like this is taking over the field, been really bad with this year being wet. What should a person do?

It does appear to be yellow nutsedge. Pull one, the stem should be triangular. Nutsedge likes wet feet, I wouldn't worry about it too much, on a dry or average year you won't see much of it.

Clodhopper":1c7b8io6 said:
It does appear to be yellow nutsedge. Pull one, the stem should be triangular. Nutsedge likes wet feet, I wouldn't worry about it too much, on a dry or average year you won't see much of it.

Been seeing more and more of it every year. Really rank stuff in the spring and the cows don't seem to eat it.

I was reading, Permit will take care of it in a grazing situation. I always have some in low lying areas, but never enough to be a problem. Is your 15 wet all the time?

Clodhopper":3sxj9hx0 said:
I was reading, Permit will take care of it in a grazing situation. I always have some in low lying areas, but never enough to be a problem. Is your 15 wet all the time?
It is bottom ground and is fairly wet but fescue normally grows good on it.

I've got it in my yard this year. I've never had there before. Must be a good year for the stuff.

Bigfoot":ze1yfnqt said:
I've got it in my yard this year. I've never had there before. Must be a good year for the stuff.
I think you all have been as wet or wetter than we have this year, so I'd say yes to that. Does it have kind of a sweet smell you mow it?

Clodhopper":36ot0psa said:
Bigfoot":36ot0psa said:
I think you all have been as wet or wetter than we have this year, so I'd say yes to that. Does it have kind of a sweet smell you mow it?

I haven't noticed, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Latest posts