Is this hay worthwhile?

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
I usually pay $45 for 4 x 5 bales of second cut timothy/alfaalfa mix. Heck I have to get it trucked from a little bit away to pay even that! Local guys charge $50-55 for the same given the market here is all horse owners.

The field across the road for me is all timothy and was just baled 4x5s - 1st cut. It was dried before baling. A day after baling we had rain.

The guy who owns the field rents it out. The guy baling brings up equipment here. There are only 27 bales. I figure he will sell them locally over the winter for $50 or so after he has transported them about 5 miles and stored them inside and transported them to the buyer.

I'm thinking about making him an offer and picking up the bales out of the field myself with my front and rear spear. It will be about 13 trips for me and he literally is across the road. I store outside on pallets.

My question to you hay experts is:
- Has the quality of these been impacted only having been out of the day for 24 hrs after baling?
- What is a reasonable price for me to offer him given I can get excellent quality, stored indoors hay for $45 with higher nutritional value?

Latest posts