IS THIS A GOOD MIX?

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
i have some heifers and steers that were just weaned and i am planning on getting 20% cubes and rolled corn mixed for them,maybe add molasses.is this a good mix? is the molasses worth adding,it is 12.5 cents a pound.will it help them to grow or will it only add to the taste?

Molasses will only give it a good taste but is ok to get them started eating. Good price on it there. Wet molases is 15 1/2 cents a pound here.

Just a thought but is distillers grain available? We use it for our mix I use half of that and half cracked corn works out to about 16% protein. My calves love it and the cows come running for it when they see the feed bucket. Makes moving them easy.

piedmontese":3q7jxejp said:
i have some heifers and steers that were just weaned and i am planning on getting 20% cubes and rolled corn mixed for them,maybe add molasses.is this a good mix? is the molasses worth adding,it is 12.5 cents a pound.will it help them to grow or will it only add to the taste?
You could probably save a little money by substituting a less expensive 14% creep for the 20% cube and mix it about 2:1 with corn. Would give you adequate protein and energy without having to pay the xtra for the cube. It should also eliminate the need for the molasses.

TexasBred":1n90nwgx said:
piedmontese":1n90nwgx said:
You could probably save a little money by substituting a less expensive 14% creep for the 20% cube and mix it about 2:1 with corn. Would give you adequate protein and energy without having to pay the xtra for the cube. It should also eliminate the need for the molasses.
where i am buying my feed the cubes are only $12. more per ton.so i guess i could go 2:1 with te cubes and corn.they will eat it without the molasses,i was just thinking of adding it if it was going to be of any nutritional value.

Oh they'll eat it without the molasses. I was just thinking of the big difference in size between cubes and corn. If the cubes are only $12 more than creep I'd question the quality of the cubes.. But If you want to use the cubes I'd mix it half cubes and half corn. You'll still have 14% protein in the mix but just a little more corn in the ration than I would want. You can make it work tho, just don't overfeed.

hillbillycwo":1s54zad1 said:
Just a thought but is distillers grain available? We use it for our mix I use half of that and half cracked corn works out to about 16% protein. My calves love it and the cows come running for it when they see the feed bucket. Makes moving them easy.

Isn't that odd, mine refuse to eat it. Absolutely would rather starve. They prefer the corn gluten to DDG's
Valerie

vclavin":gtuxre2s said:
hillbillycwo":gtuxre2s said:

Isn't that odd, mine refuse to eat it. Absolutely would rather starve. They prefer the corn gluten to DDG's
Valerie
Spoiled cattle. :lol2: Give'em 3-4 days. They'll learn to eat both corn and distillers. ;-)

Val, Really? Mine love it you should se the calves push their feed bin around in the cover crop field. It is funny to watch em playin after they get that feed.

Latest posts