Is she pregnant?

Help Support CattleToday:

markjuan1

Reaction score
I have a 2 yr. old heifer that was placed with a bull from Feb. 16 through April 1 this past spring. She looks huge to me, but I'm a rookie at this. She isn't bagging up yet, but her behind is starting to sink in slightly and her couchie looks a little swollen. What gives me the most doubt that she is not pregnant is the fact that she runs across the pasture full speed kicking and jumping when she sees me. Is that normal for a heifer that is due any day now?

markjuan1":1o7gspb1 said:
What gives me the most doubt that she is not pregnant is the fact that she runs across the pasture full speed kicking and jumping when she sees me. Is that normal for a heifer that is due any day now?

Yup, not unusual at all. I sometimes wonder how a cow that's big as a blimp and has goo hanging can run and still kick up their heels.

put on a glove and go in to check for yourself. Go up the anus, the vagina will get you kicked. You will go in up to your shoulder almost. Feel downwards above the edders and if shes bred you will feel the calf in there.

You should be able to "bump" the calf by now. That is, go up to the cows side and push with your fist from the outside and feel the calf. May not be able to do it everytime depending on how the calf is laying. We do it all the time on ours if they are say 240 or more days pregnant.