Iphone storage

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Anyone an iPhone expert? I have an iPhone 7 with 32G and it's almost used up. When I check what is using the storage, media is shown as taking almost half. All my pics and videos are In the cloud, and I don't have downloaded songs. Apps are next in line for storage, but not an extreme amount. I have also deleted all items pics and video from texts. I can't identify the "media" that is taking up so much space. Any ideas on what to do?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Buy more storage on the iCloud. .99 cents ought to do it.

I did that a long time ago. I have plenty of storage on iCloud; it's my actual phone that is low.

Nesikep said:
If everything is backed up, delete stuff. start with videos, a few longer videos will eat up storage real fast

That's the puzzle. I only have 5 videos less than a minute. All pictures are backed up and I've deleted a ton. There has to be something lurking in the background that's not obvious.

I deleted some video, restarted my phone, and it actually shows slightly more storage being used than before. That seems crazy.

What kind of email do you have on the phone? Are you storing a ton of emails? Emails that have attachments often store as images.

cowgal604 said:
What kind of email do you have on the phone? Are you storing a ton of emails? Emails that have attachments often store as images.

I have my work email linked to my "mail" app. I never delete anything from it. Could that be the issue?

Emails show up forever on my desktop at work, but only a months worth on my phone.

herofan said:
cowgal604 said:

I have my work email linked to my "mail" app. I never delete anything from it. Could that be the issue?

Emails show up forever on my desktop at work, but only a months worth on my phone.

Yes that could be it. It's likely. Here is an article on how to clear up that issue:

https://www.lifewire.com/emails-take-up-less-space-iphone-2000081

Thanks for all the suggestions. I still haven't fully figured it out. I did discover that after apps have been on your phone for a long time, they can build up a lot of documents and data. If the app doesn't have a way to delete that, one can delete and download the app again and it clears it out. I still can't figure out what all the "media" is on my phone. Everybody that I ask says " pictures and videos," but that's not an issue with mine, so it's a mystery.

Try calling Apple. They will tell you in about a minute what to do. It will probably take an hour to get that minute.

I have a 6 and it tells me what is eating my storage, but I clean so infrequently I can't recall what I do to help you.

herofan said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I still haven't fully figured it out. I did discover that after apps have been on your phone for a long time, they can build up a lot of documents and data. If the app doesn't have a way to delete that, one can delete and download the app again and it clears it out. I still can't figure out what all the "media" is on my phone. Everybody that I ask says " pictures and videos," but that's not an issue with mine, so it's a mystery.

Every email signature someone sends you in an email with a logo is "media".

HDRider said:
I have a 6 and it tells me what is eating my storage, but I clean so infrequently I can't recall what I do to help you.

What process do you go through to clean it?

HDRider said:
herofan said:
HDRider said:

What process do you go through to clean it?

Oh, I misread that as "frequently," which didn't make much sense, but as I get older, I have all kinds of brain malfunctions.

Ad graphics and ad vids that are stored as temp internet files and history quietly eat up a lot of storage, as do all your browsing history, phone calls and texts, updates, email history, and security scans. Generally speaking, tho you may not be able to access them from your OS, everything 'stored' in the cloud is just a copy of the original. The originals are all kept in compressed form on the OS. All those "there's an app for that" that everyone is so gaga over, they take up space as well. All those updates are not replacement files, they are 'in addition to" files.
If a security expert ever had a need and authorization to do so, they can find Right On Your Phone (or computer..a phone is just a miniature computer) every single thing you've ever done on your phone...even files that have been overwritten multiple times.