IoT

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Anybody else fooling around with "internet of things" (which all the cool kids call IoT I'm told)? Such as Nest thermostats; remote monitoring, Alexa, etc? My son is McGyvering a system whereby we will (in theory) be able to turn on the block heater on the tractor (rather than driving several miles to do so, then having to come back hours later to actually feed).
I was amazed at how fast this technology is evolving. If it works, I'll be able to turn off the polywire to troubleshoot/fix a break, without trudging back and forth to the barn. (Yes, I know there are fence checkers to do that to--we sprang for a supposedly nice one but ours dies every day so it's useless).
Would love to hear if others are futzing with this stuff too. I'm a tech dino.

I'm dabbling in it.. I'm working on a cheaper Moocall device that doesn't require cellular service.. not quite IoT but getting there..
Not into Alexa, etc though.

Nesikep":202wovg8 said:
I'm dabbling in it.. I'm working on a cheaper Moocall device that doesn't require cellular service.. not quite IoT but getting there..
Not into Alexa, etc though.

I'm not familiar with Moocall--is it remote monitoring/camera?

Re: the block heater for your tractor, I use an outdoor timer for the truck and tractor if need be. Just be sure to get one rated for the amp draw - $20 or so. I've found that an hour of heat is all that's needed down to about 0F, that's as cold as we normally get around here. Also, keeping a $25 battery tender hooked to those machines makes a world of difference.

Latest posts