Internet browser issue

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
One thing that has really POed me is the newer broweseers, chrome, firefox and IE11 don;t mark a thread read after it's been viewed. My old explorer will take the color block off showing that a thread has been read or not. None of the newer ones do. You read a read, get out of it and the indicator is still there that it hasn;t been read. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks

greybeard":wbaedeb4 said:
I'm using Chrome Version 46.0.2490.80 with Win7. The browser properly marks every thread I read.
As much as I hate 7 I may have to go back. Or just stay with XP

I don't think that's a browser issue. But when you switch browsers your website settings probably need re-set. I think you need to go to your user profile and check there.

dun,

Do you mean the little orange box with the black arrow in it beside the Discussion name. It doesn't update for me when I go back either, but will if I refresh the page. However, that's now usually how I view threads anyway. Instead of left-clicking on a link to go directly to it I click my scroll wheel on it, which opens it in a new tab (or right-click and choose "Open in new tab" from the drop-down). Then I go to that tab to read it, then either close the tab or Reply. Then I can go directly back to the "Recent Discussions" tab (which is where I always start).

And why on earth don't you like Windows 7? I never thought I'd find an OS I liked as well as XP, but I was wrong. I like 7 better. I hated 8. I have 10 on my new laptop. It's a definite improvement over 8, but other than that the jury's still out. Still on 7 at work.

It's the same thing I log into with the older browser and the newer one on the old computer. I can alternate between browsers and the old explorer will work but the chrome and firefox won;t

dun":1xkz4ljg said:
greybeard":1xkz4ljg said:
I'm using Chrome Version 46.0.2490.80 with Win7. The browser properly marks every thread I read.

Dun, I use firefox 42.0 and it works just fine. if you're running XP and Internet Explorer try going back to IE 9. XP doesn't work well with 11.

Rafter S":264vpnyf said:
And why on earth don't you like Windows 7? I never thought I'd find an OS I liked as well as XP, but I was wrong. I like 7 better. I hated 8. I have 10 on my new laptop. It's a definite improvement over 8, but other than that the jury's still out. Still on 7 at work.
It's probably because it's moree awkward to get around and it does so much without it being wanted. Other then the get around part 10 seems an improvement over 7.

bbirder":27a6mgks said:
dun":27a6mgks said:
greybeard":27a6mgks said:

Dun, I use firefox 42.0 and it works just fine. if you're running XP and Internet Explorer try going back to IE 9. XP doesn't work well with 11.
IE 8 is the latest version that will run with XP (according to when I've tried downloading a more recent version)

dun":nwkhfhhc said:
One thing that has really POed me is the newer broweseers, chrome, firefox and IE11 don;t mark a thread read after it's been viewed. My old explorer will take the color block off showing that a thread has been read or not. None of the newer ones do. You read a read, get out of it and the indicator is still there that it hasn;t been read. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks

Annoying isn't it. I've spent time trying to figure it out also with no success. Now I regularly use the "Board index" button at the top of the page to take me to the index page and click on "view active topics" to get it to refresh.

greybeard":368fcg96 said:
Same one I'm using. I don't know which version I was using before it stopped marking threads read without refreshing the "Board Index". It has been quite a while though. Even worse, My I-pad no longer takes to the top of the topic page instead of the place I entered a thread. Now I have to scroll back down to just to get to the next topic.

Figured out a solution. Rather then clicking the back arrow/button, click the name of the forum that you have open and read a post.

IE11 even with Windows 7 is a bad one. Lots of weird issues with it that were not present with IE 8-10. On the other browsers, you might check to see if you're running the 64-bit version. The 32-bit versions seem to work better even with the 64-bit version of Windows 7.