Interesting study on organic foods

Help Support CattleToday:

Just like the C.A.B. All hype, promotion, and marketing. No real substance to the claims made.

Yep... thats why I still love my bologna sandwiches (with miracle whip) and potato chips.. about as organic as it gets. :cboy:

Mid South Guy":3h4ephcp said:
Just like the C.A.B. All hype, promotion, and marketing. No real substance to the claims made.
CAB has pretty rigorous quality standards. There is alot of good beef that doesn't qualify but there is no junk meat in CAB.
Some of the very best farmers in the world farm organiclly and believe in it and they do produce a quality product but typically it's just a way to increase revenue while cutting costs for people that don't have the equipment or know-how to push crops to the maximum potential.

Limomike":1a0dv44l said:
Yep... thats why I still love my bologna sandwiches (with miracle whip) and potato chips.. about as organic as it gets. :cboy:
I cut out the organic chips and replaced it with organic potato salad... :lol: :lol:

cow pollinater":20imioln said:
Mid South Guy":20imioln said:
CAB has pretty rigorous quality standards. There is alot of good beef that doesn't qualify but there is no junk meat in CAB.
Some of the very best farmers in the world farm organiclly and believe in it and they do produce a quality product but typically it's just a way to increase revenue while cutting costs for people that don't have the equipment or know-how to push crops to the maximum potential.
But they try to advance their product by running down the way all the others are produced. If they were right about how bad production agriculture was 90% of the world would already be dead.

Jogeephus":2s4mvp93 said:
Interesting. So brown eggs are no better for you than white ones. :mrgreen:
My neighbor hates the taste of brown eggs but loves the taste of white ones. Yes, he is a moron!

slick4591":31lkzmmd said:
dun":31lkzmmd said:
Jogeephus":31lkzmmd said:
Interesting. So brown eggs are no better for you than white ones. :mrgreen:
My neighbor hates the taste of brown eggs but loves the taste of white ones. Yes, he is a moron!

Has he tried the blue ones yet? :lol:
For some reason there aren;t many araucanas around here. But if he saw a blue or green egg he would probably figure it was left over from easter

jedstivers":3ubb9kyy said:
cow pollinater":3ubb9kyy said:
Mid South Guy":3ubb9kyy said:
But they try to advance their product by running down the way all the others are produced. If they were right about how bad production agriculture was 90% of the world would already be dead.

It's effective marketing in both cases and not all of them engage in it. I don't produce CAB or organic in case you were wondering which side of the fence I'm on. There's nothing at all to keep the red angus or charolais associations from marketing their products as something above and beyond CAB. There is also nothing at all to keep non-organic farmers from promoting their products as better for one reason or another but instead we just sit around and complain that someone else is receiving a premium that we aren't getting and activly competing with us while they do it... We COULD compete back, but it's sooo much easier to complain. :lol:

cow pollinater":1hbvcblo said:
It's effective marketing in both cases and not all of them engage in it. I don't produce CAB or organic in case you were wondering which side of the fence I'm on. There's nothing at all to keep the red angus or charolais associations from marketing their products as something above and beyond CAB. There is also nothing at all to keep non-organic farmers from promoting their products as better for one reason or another but instead we just sit around and complain that someone else is receiving a premium that we aren't getting and activly competing with us while they do it... We COULD compete back, but it's sooo much easier to complain. :lol:
Red Angus and Hereford have marketing programs, also the "Sterling Silver" program pays the same premiums and has the same standards as CAB except for not being black.

My beef with organic is that it is Berkley philosophy professors promoting it. Organic is getting a free ride on the promotion side. And they are slandering me--a guy who uses 20 gallons of 2,4-D a year--maybe.
It is a hatred of all things corporate. The herbicides and insecticides are produced by big corporations who make profits, so the corps don't care if it makes us sick. Maybe just me, but I have a kinder view of the corporations who make the stuff that relieves me of losing half a crop to weeds and insects. Does it make us sick? I'm a child of the chemical age. I used "agent orange" on wild cucumber from a hand sprayer as a kid. I seem to be alive. The real crime here is professors who are "tenured' at $150K/yr and are resentful about farmers who may make $50K in a good year.
Farmers already give .01 per bushel on soybeans, a cent on corn and $1/hd on cattle for "promotion".
Not attacking CP, just some more info.

Most Berkley college professors couldn't pour pi$$ out of a boot. The sooner this country realizes that the better we will be. JMO

Jogeephus":32qphsbz said:
Most Berkley college professors couldn't pour pi$$ out of a boot. The sooner this country realizes that the better we will be. JMO

Aren't they the only ones with a jungle gym on campus???

Latest posts