Interesting read

Help Support CattleToday:

Corn is good!? Slow news day in Indiana? Author rambles for a few paragraphs before getting to the point.
Would have been more interesting if they did more comparisons with rice and wheat nutritionally and production costs ect.
But does give some interesting info.

Good article. Was thinking about the calorie comparison the other day only I was thinking about the bad wrap McDonalds gets for offering a bunch of calories for very little.

Jogeephus":3sg40k2l said:
Good article. Was thinking about the calorie comparison the other day only I was thinking about the bad wrap McDonalds gets for offering a bunch of calories for very little.

Good article. One reason we as "farmers" should pay more attention to feeding good quality "high energy" feeds instead of concentrating solely on crude protein. Corn will run between 8-9% crude protein, rice and wheat around 12% crude protein so both are higher in protein than corn but lower in energy and digestibility. Then consider "digestible protein". Again corn is higher in digestibility than the others. One more thing to consider is the high amount of organic matter returned to the soil when corn is harvested compared to the other plants.

Son of Butch":1ryf2h24 said:
Corn is good!? Slow news day in Indiana? Author rambles for a few paragraphs before getting to the point.
Would have been more interesting if they did more comparisons with rice and wheat nutritionally and production costs ect.
I think you missed the point about corn's widespread versatility. How much rice is grown in Minnesota?

ga.prime":33edynci said:
Son of Butch":33edynci said:
I think you missed the point about corn's widespread versatility. How much rice is grown in Minnesota?

I don't know how much rice is grown in MN, but the wild rice grown there is the best rice I've ever ate.

Uncle Ben's rice that takes twenty minutes to cook is the best rice I've ever ate. The rest of it is like dog food.

ga.prime":1wy4hmq2 said:
Son of Butch":1wy4hmq2 said:
Minnesota? Land of Ten Thousand Lakes? The number #1 Wild Rice producing state in the USA.
Is that the Minnesota of your inquiry?

No, being a farmer in the corn belt I am well aware "Corn is King" and the versatility of corn.
My interest in rice and wheat comparison is global since author mentioned USA corn crop equals 17% of world calorie
requirement, but failed to follow up with world comparisons to the 2 crops he/she brought up, not me.
Perhaps I was a bit down on article because I'm not exactly the urban target market of the Washington Post that thinks polenta when corn is mentioned and uses "soy" for the nation's soybean crop.
But as I said, the article did provide interesting info.

Latest posts