Interesting Lion Info

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I found this article in todays Billings Gazette- thought it was some interesting lion info...I always knew they had quite a range, but never suspected they would move this far....

----------------------------------------------
Mountain lion traced to S. Dakota
HELENA — A mountain lion killed recently by a Lewistown hunter was radio collared three years ago in the Black Hills of South Dakota 450 miles away.
The lion was one of 65 collared to determine dispersal patterns of juvenile lions in the Black Hills, said Jonathan Jenks, a wildlife professor at South Dakota State University.

Another South Dakota lion was killed by a Montana hunter south of Custer in Treasure County, he said. Others in the study ended up in northwestern Minnesota and Oklahoma.

Mountain lions typically leave their mothers between 10 and 18 months of age. Because they are solitary animals, they look for territory that isn't already occupied by other lions, and often travel long distances.

The Lewistown lion was collared on Feb. 25th, 2003. It was killed by a Lewistown man on Dec. 31 in the Judith Mountains.

It's not illegal to shoot an animal with a radio collar, neck band or ear tag, and the hunter turned in the collar to FW&P as required.

there are a lot of bad mountain lion stories here in Colorado and they are about the only thing i really worry about when we go camping or hiking.

Aero":15lg2crf said:
there are a lot of bad mountain lion stories here in Colorado and they are about the only thing i really worry about when we go camping or hiking.

Perhaps, but quite frankly black bears have killed quite a few folks within the past couple of years.

Where we live it's the blackies that I worry about. They have NO fear of humans and will walk right up to you.

We shoot first and ask questions later.

Them cougars seem to run - only ever seen one once - it was gone so fast I had to stop and think what it was I saw.

Bez!

I think they are more afraid of us, and keep to themselves, and like it that way. I've hardly ever heard of a Mt. Lion attacking a human, have to agree that bears are far more dangerous.

GMN

Lions can really travel if they want to. Years ago a friend caught one in a trap north of Mt Rainier. The game dept tagged it and turned it loose. The lion was road killed two days later next to the Columbia River. That cat covered half the north/south distance of Washington, crossed 4 major river drainages, and some very serious mountainous terrain in two days. It would take a man in very good shape at least two weeks to make that hike. Appearantly he didn't like being caught in the trap and thought that it was a good neighborhood to be from.
Dave

Dave":3trfc061 said:
Lions can really travel if they want to. Years ago a friend caught one in a trap north of Mt Rainier. The game dept tagged it and turned it loose. The lion was road killed two days later next to the Columbia River. That cat covered half the north/south distance of Washington, crossed 4 major river drainages, and some very serious mountainous terrain in two days. It would take a man in very good shape at least two weeks to make that hike. Appearantly he didn't like being caught in the trap and thought that it was a good neighborhood to be from.
Dave

Poor thing! I just love any kind of cat, domestic or wild!

Gail

Latest posts