Interesting Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I had a calf born about 10 days ago. The cow was separated from the herd. I was handling the calf and carried it against me when I put it in the crowding pen. Later after dealing with the calf, I went out behind the barn where I open the gate (the back of the barn does not have a door, it has a 12 foot gate) at the back of the barn and pull out square bales for the cows. They wait there and crowd up waiting to start eating. I have a bale hook that I drag the bales out with, then cut and remove the strings. When I went through the gate, all the cows came at me with their noses straight out. They formed a complete circle of cows around me. They moved their noses up and down me, smelled my gloves, the front of my coat, etc. I was a little intimidated because there was no place to escape and I wasn't sure what one of them might do. They were greeting the odors of the new herd member as best as I know. It was a cool experience.

Had my vet pull a calf one time, anbotic fluid got all over him. Cow was trying to kill me and licking the calf and my vet. He really got a good laugh out of that one. gs

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1tfwhzeo said:
Yes, cows (even yearlings) have a really, really hard time resisting the smell of the newborn. You become their best friend quickly.
Yep, thats exactly what they were doing.
Good thing you didnt have any blood on you.. they really go nuts when that happens. :nod:

That's how I keep them from trying to kill me when i'm trying to tag their calf. Just rub it all over real good, and then your free to do what ever. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts