Interaction with Non-Farmer Stories

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
There have been a few threads lately where people have offered their stories and they have gotten alot of attention and there have been some great experiences told. I thought it would be interesting to hear any stories of experiences you have had with non-farmers, or city people that have been funny or interesting. One story I have is:

When I was younger, we had an old Ford pickup and my Dad was cutting wood and didn't park far enough from the tree and fell the tree across the cab. It smashed the cab and part of the sides of the bed. We took the tractor front end loader and stuck the bale spear in the busted windows and pulled the cab up enough to get in and out and we put a bale spike in the back and used it for a feed truck and a work truck. One day I had pulled off the highway on a steep bank and was fixing fence and I was hot and sweaty and dirty, and might have even had some blood showing from the barbed wire, when a car was coming down the road real fast and all of a sudden slammed on the brakes and slid off the side of the road and a guy jumped out and ran toward me and was yelling " Are you alright? Are you ok?" I looked at him and said, "Yes, I am fine, how are you"? He looked at me and said "No, I mean are you hurt?" I said, "Not any more than usual" He said "Was anyone else hurt?" I looked puzzled and said "There isn't anyone else here, but I dont understand what you are talking about" He acted like I was stupid and said, "I mean in the wreck---in the truck wreck---are you ok?" I started laughing and told him it wasn't a truck wreck, just an old farm truck with me out fixing fence. Then I thanked him for stopping and checking and he walked away shaking his head like I was an idiot. I am not saying he was wrong about me being an idiot, I just thought it was awfully funny that he thought my pride and joy farm truck was the result of a wreck.

Winchester Model 12 is very loud in the cab of a 1970 Chevy ears rang for a month and bondo will not fill in the hole. Should have seen the look on the Chevy dealers face at the body shop I didn't understand a thing he told me though. Same truck it is not advisable to haul hay and smoke at the same time man that makes one big fire same guy at the body shop again.
Oh and a large fire will melt the fiberglass patch on the roof and it will have to repainted again along with the bed I have heard.

camping at cranberry one summer,its not a good spot unless your in a well travled path of some kind of critter LOL, this year there was a young bear about 150 lbs that would come down from the mt every afternoon at 2 oclock, we would set up the lawnchairs in a row and have "bear theather", bear would grub on the hill side in front of us,he was about 40 ft from us. we watched him all week, kids would quit riding bikes to come watch the show. this one day kids all lined up in chairs,whispering here he comes. {only time they were still} 20 mins into the show this van pulls up ,doors fly open 5 adults jump out."stupid city people" , they seen the bear,come running up to camp.some are going in the woods running over the kids, one ladys says thats not a bear that a cow! :roll: one grabs a switch. not even big enough to be a stick, they crowd the bear, got him circled, i gather up the bikes cause someones gonna get attacked,and want a clean path for the kids to run in the camper. bear starts swinging his head, and slaping his paws on the ground. one is video taping the event, i told her thats good you got that on tape, cause the ER Dr is gonna wanna know how did this happen! poor little bear was freaking out, the people finialy decided to leave after the bear found a hole in the crowd and ran behind the camper. boy was the kids mad that day. and some people just dont belong in the woods!

This was many years ago, but here goes.

I was carrying a load of hay to a customer, one morning and had to drive thru the middle of our small hometown. It was about 11 miles from our farm to town and another 10 or so to the customers on the other side. I think I was 14 or 15 at the time, and like all the men in my family, I chewed tobacco.
There was a can of oil rolling around in the passenger side floorboard, and it bugged me all the way to town.

Upon reaching the main intersection in town, I decided I just had to do something about that can! I kicked the truck out of gear, keeping my foot on the brake, and streched just as far as I could reach. Finally fingertipped the can close enough to get a good hold on it, set it in the seat, by this time I had a goodly amount of spit built up. So turned my head toward the window and let fly. Didn't see the little old woman's car in the turn lane till it was too late!! Splattered that poor womans windshield something awful.

Just then the light turns, so I head on my way. The little old woman, gets right in behind me honking her horn and shaking her fist, follows me all the way thru town. At the last light she jumps out of her car, running up the side of the truck, wearing one of those pillbox hats, hair stickin out everywher, and hollers. "you bakker chewin SOB". I couldn't help myself, I was laughing so hard, I swallowerd my cud!! :lol:

Sorry it was so long, but you asked!!

Two stories came to mind when I read this post.

When I was probably about 10 years old we had a newborn calf in the kitchen overnight from the cold. My town friends always thought that it was so great when that happened. Well, this particular calf died so Mom hauled it out on the back porch but was finishing up other things before it was hauled away. I'd invited a friend over. Her mother dropped her off but she wasn't coming in the door. I thought it was odd until I went out on the back porch and saw her happily patting and talking to the dead calf. I told her it wad dead and she started screaming, running in the house to wash her hands. I laughed so hard and still get a chuckle out of it. :lol:

The other story happened a couple of years ago. My great aunt, her daughter and son in-law came to visit. We were having an outdoor picnic and Angel who had been an orphan and at that time was a year and a half years old decided to join the party. My great aunt thought it was a "hoot" so she was allowed to stay. She was behaving herself well, just standing at the table watching until my great aunt decided to pass around a bag of cherries. She came to me holding out the bag and asked if I wanted some, Angel was beside me and was sure the offer was for her. So, in went her head. My great aunt (85 years old, lived in the city all of her life) starts whacking Angel on the head telling her she can't have any. Angel did back off. So my great aunt gives her a scratch and moves on. Now her son in-law wasn't so sure when Angel went to sniff his toes he was a little nervous! :lol: It was great fun for them though and they had to take pictures of Angel.

warpaint":2w2rxrt6 said:
"Didn't see the little old woman's car in the turn lane till it was too late!! Splattered that poor womans windshield something awful."

"I couldn't help myself, I was laughing so hard, I swallowerd my cud!!" :lol:

Never again will I eat supper, and read this board! :mrgreen:

At an agricultural show school children were being 'educated' by their townie teachers; "All calves are born with six teats, the farmers cut two off to fit their milking machines"
"Lambs are slaughtered to get their wool off"
"When mother pigs are made into bacon, her babies are made into link sausages"
And we wonder why they grow up hating farmers!

Many, many years ago was on a blind date. This girl was going on and on about how cruel it was to raise animals to be slaughtered for our eating pleasure...blah blah blah. When I pointed out she was eating beef she said something like "Oh no, this is filet mignon, it's French." That was only one reason we didn't hit it off too well.

VanC, your story reminds me of the cattle strike many, many, many years ago - I don't quite remember what the whole story was behind it. There was an article in the paper that quoted a woman from the city stating something to the effect of "Why do I care if the ranchers/dairy farmers go on strike, I get my milk from the grocery store."

msscamp":18gzgz6d said:
VanC, your story reminds me of the cattle strike many, many, many years ago - I don't quite remember what the whole story was behind it. There was an article in the paper that quoted a woman from the city stating something to the effect of "Why do I care if the ranchers/dairy farmers go on strike, I get my milk from the grocery store."

Yup. It's hard to believe, but they're out there. Scary. :dunce:

Caustic Burno":3kpv2m72 said:
Winchester Model 12 is very loud in the cab of a 1970 Chevy ears rang for a month and bondo will not fill in the hole. Should have seen the look on the Chevy dealers face at the body shop I didn't understand a thing he told me though. Same truck it is not advisable to haul hay and smoke at the same time man that makes one big fire same guy at the body shop again.
Oh and a large fire will melt the fiberglass patch on the roof and it will have to repainted again along with the bed I have heard.
Hey, Crusty, Were you shooting trap,or installing air conditioning? Coulda left the hole so after a rainy day of rasslin pigs you coulda showered on the way home.

Roadapple":16de29k7 said:
Caustic Burno":16de29k7 said:
Hey, Crusty, Were you shooting trap,or installing air conditioning? Coulda left the hole so after a rainy day of rasslin pigs you coulda showered on the way home.

No this is what happens when you let a wantabee in your truck that is looking to buy land right after he ask is it loaded. Then you start down the diplomactic road which is the art of saying good doggie while looking for a bigger stick. Boy was a yankee land buyer for some large corporation from one of them Northern States.

PS wasn't my truck belonged to Mr.Wiggins the guy I worked for.

oh i just happen to think of the time we proubly sent a few 6 th graders to therapy LOL . in spring the local grade school takes a hike past our house, acroos the hill to the lake, you can hear the kids comming across town chattering and laughing, our mules heard the comotion and went to the nearest fence to get a better look{right beside the road},in passing they got excited about the kids any way pushing to get thair heads over the fence for a pat or a snack, general my jack was in the middle of the herd, withthe mules getting excited i guess he figured it was him that was causing the excitment... :heart: and yep you guess it! he mounted maudie right there by the fence! kids were yelling and laughing , i could of died!you could hear them all the past your house! poor amber :oops: (my youngest, prissyest daughter was in the class} im sure she wanted to stop at the house and never come out again LOL that was the big "hee haw" for 2 or 3 years,. now i try to put general up in the barn when the trip happens..LOL Rose

This string has made me laugh so much. I actually didn't even think Caustic had shot through the roof, I figured someone else did. So here's two with cypress:

My oldest brother was "given" the family 1969 chevy caprice to drive around the air force base. Must have been about '78 or '79. One of his "chores" with the car was to shuffle me and the middle brother to anything we needed. one day while he was bringing me back home, I saw (I was on the passenger side) the right front wheel roll off the car and pass us up and land in the ditch. Just about the time I pointed this out to my brother, he hit the brakes and a big thud landed (this was not a small car). His window was open and somehow small 9 year old cypress made it out over my brother. I looked back to him laughing. I never rode in that car again.

Freshman year of high school and cypress' parents built a new house. Moving everything from the old house to the new. It was in the fall, and a cold front had just passed through. With the last load that we brought was my dad's pair of cowboy boots. When we got to the new house (about 5 minutes away), we unloaded everything, and Cypress took the boots out and asked where dad would want them. "Just throw them in the closet" he was told. Cypress had the brilliant idea to instead go outside and chop firewood for the new fireplace. Left foot on o.k. Right foot, Cypress screamed. Moma cypress comes outside, turns the boot upside down and a copperhead drops out. Cypress still checks his boots everytime to this day.

VanC":1x6fqs5e said:
Many, many years ago was on a blind date. This girl was going on and on about how cruel it was to raise animals to be slaughtered for our eating pleasure...blah blah blah. When I pointed out she was eating beef she said something like "Oh no, this is filet mignon, it's French." That was only one reason we didn't hit it off too well.

Now that was funny. :lol: Rather like a woman I knew who complained that I was eating meat while she was wearing her leather shoes. :roll:

VanC":3n10zewf said:
msscamp":3n10zewf said:

Yup. It's hard to believe, but they're out there. Scary. :dunce:

The bad thing is that those are the kind of folks running the banks and making decisions on how the goverment affects our lives too! :mad:

on a school trip to Germany one year, we were traveling around the Castles, and other historic places when next to the river Rhine was this beautiful castle with pink turrets and a Lady from Claifornia pipes up OH! look they have copied the castle from Disney Land, well we just fell about, it still makes me laugh, :lol:

Latest posts