Insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

weezer1

Reaction score
What if any insurance policies are out there to cover livestock?
I am contemplating purchasing 30 bred heifers and am wondering what you all use for insurance?

Thanks for the help
Dave

Mine are my farm policy also. Just remember to get a high enough liability package ($1mil+).

Carry a personal liability policy of $1,000,000 in addition to the farm policy. I think they are cheap. You may have to up you limits on other policies but it in itself is relatively cheap.

I have American Livestock Insurance.. which is Hartford Insurance. They have a website that has a lot of information, as well as forms you can download. Everything has to have a health certificate before they'll insure.

When you buy animals at a registered sale it's pretty easy to determine value, but that's something that you need to make sure you understand as well. They'll only insure for the purchase price.

Make sure you read everything! Most policys only cover death.. not long term sickness or if you put the animal down for humane reasons. And they are very specific about what you need to do in case of a loss.

When you buy animals at a registered sale it's pretty easy to determine value, but that's something that you need to make sure you understand as well. They'll only insure for the purchase price.

When I insure them it's a "Declared Value" policy.

You can insure them for 10 MILLION each if you're willing to pay the premiums. ;-)

Latest posts