Insulated overalls Carhartt vs. Dickies.

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have wore Carhartt insulated overalls for years but was thinking about trying a pair of Dickies insulated bib overalls. I like the Dickies work clothing as good or maybe even a little better than Carhartt, plus they are a lot cheaper than Carhartt. Anyone know any good or bad about them?

I have a pair of dickies bibs, they really didn't get a fair shake, as they blew outta the back of the truck one night and got ran over multiple times before I retrieved them. Damaged the zippers and galluses, I repaired them, but bought a new set of carhartts the next year, which I promptly set on fire. I would buy dickies again though, very heavy and well made I feel.

I've got a pair of the old Carhartt insulated bibs. One of the most amazing piece of equipment I own. They cant be no less than 15 winter's old. And trust me, they have worked every day they've been worn.......i can't buy a hammer that will last a third of what those Carhartt have lasted.

id go for the ones that fit best, i cant wear them i just cant move around enough feel like im in a straight jacket

I can't wear coveralls comfortably either. Feel like my arms are too constricted like MtnCows93 said. I wear insulated overalls and a looser fitting sweatshirt or two.... I'd get the ones that fit the best. I do know I have to have a full side zipper, not just up to the knee.

I don't know that I've seen it cold enough for insulated bibs. I just wear uninsulated bibs, long handles and a good coat if it's cold. Maybe add a good vest and silk kerchief if it's really cold. But maybe I just don't live in the right climate.

farmerjan":driunc7l said:
I can't wear coveralls comfortably either. Feel like my arms are too constricted like MtnCows93 said. I wear insulated overalls and a looser fitting sweatshirt or two.... I'd get the ones that fit the best. I do know I have to have a full side zipper, not just up to the knee.
I have both bibs and coveralls and prefer the coveralls.
I can accept a little discomfort in exchange for being draft free and staying warm.

Silver":37ajxnx7 said:
I don't know that I've seen it cold enough for insulated bibs. I just wear uninsulated bibs, long handles and a good coat if it's cold. Maybe add a good vest and silk kerchief if it's really cold. But maybe I just don't live in the right climate.

I don't understand it either. I haven't put on the long handles yet but it hasn't got down below 10 degrees yet. I did notice yesterday when the sun dipped behind the hill I went looking for my coat. I am getting wimpy in my old age. It was only 28 degrees.

Dave":tiy1bdrx said:
Silver":tiy1bdrx said:

I don't understand it either. I haven't put on the long handles yet but it hasn't got down below 10 degrees yet. I did notice yesterday when the sun dipped behind the hill I went looking for my coat. I am getting wimpy in my old age. It was only 28 degrees.
I saw first hand how tough you yanks are to cold weather. I had to rescue big John last year because he dang near froze to death, in his own words. He's a logger from New Hampshire and supposedly only a spit and 2 rock throws from the Canadian border. It was only 40 and misting with a slight 10 to 15 mph breeze. It's a different kind of cold you guy's have. But I learned years ago that you can't tell a yank anything, so carry on.

The winter I spent in Waukegan Ill, and again when I went to S. Korea one December, I found out first hand that there truly is a difference in the 'cold' in different parts of the world.......'cold' is much more than low temps.

I helped a friend change the fuel pump on her car in Waukegan, laying on the snow dressed no differently than I would be here if it were 30 deg weather and I remember thinking "why don't I feel cold? I should be cold."

but I don't care where one is, below zero is just plain COLD.
But, truly the coldest I ever felt for days on end was working oilfield around Elk City Oklahoma. Nothing between there and Canada to slow the wind but a few barb wire fences.
All things considered I'll just stay right here in Texas thank you.

True Grit Farms":mbxm24jd said:
Dave":mbxm24jd said:
Silver":mbxm24jd said:

I saw first hand how tough you yanks are to cold weather. I had to rescue big John last year because he dang near froze to death, in his own words. He's a logger from New Hampshire and supposedly only a spit and 2 rock throws from the Canadian border. It was only 40 and misting with a slight 10 to 15 mph breeze. It's a different kind of cold you guy's have. But I learned years ago that you can't tell a yank anything, so carry on.

Good friend transferred in from ND and said this is the coldest place on earth.
He said never ending sleet and rain in the thirties. The year he transferred in it rained 28 days that January.
We were shocked to hear him say it.

Silver":3jkod85m said:

I tell you what buddy. It got down to 27 here the other day. Stayed below freezing for almost four hours. I had on so many clothes I could barely move.
Started a fire at work to stay alive. Took 20 dollars worth of either to get the ol 4020 to light. Exactly the reason we bury all water lines at least 3 inches deep.
We pushed on through it. Gotta be tuff to live in Texas.

Caustic Burno":2jd9p497 said:
I ain't living anywhere you need white camo to deer hunt!

Shucks I have been looking for land in Alaska. Kenai Peninsula area where I used to live. But I am not planning on winters up there.

Worst I have ever seen was Green River, Wyoming but I had an Alyeska parka on so it wasn't as bad as I have been here in TX without heavy thermals on.

When you are cold, you are cold. That can happen anywhere.

Carharts used to be really good when they came with patches on the knees and elbows. These modern carharts are not the same quality as the old school. My jacket sleeve cuffs are nylon now and they get burned up with welding slag. The arms and jacket itself seem to do okay but the cuffs are toast in no time.

I spent a day in NE Ohio years ago where the actual temp was minus 22 with a forty mph wind blowing....
I promised the good lord that day that if he gave me the strength to survive he would not have to worry about my southern butt being in Yankee country come another winter...I had on nearly every piece of clothes I owned....feet got frostbit...

Took me til October to find a job back here in Va. but I made it out before winter set in.

Caustic Burno":2r9apm8l said:
Silver":2r9apm8l said:
Unless you've heard cow turds tinkle when kicked across the lot you haven't experienced cold. Just sayin'.

I ain't living anywhere you need white camo to deer hunt!

We won't ever need to worry about becoming neighbours then, because I ain't living anywhere that grows cactus and snakes.

Latest posts