Input/Output

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
1016334_820179568007910_2548214_n.jpg

Aaron":ce87subw said:
You can attribute it all to the cost of fuel.

I can't. Partially. Yes.

No foundry in America any more. Volcanoes spew an ungodly amount of sulfur but man's vanity blames fuels. More regulations.

Manipulated economy adds to inflation. Who was president during double digit inflation? Who was president when it turned around?

Population explosion. Where did all these yanks come from? Supply and demand for land goes hand and hand. With increased land valuation goes property taxes thru the roof. One piece I bought for speculation quadrupled in value assessment in 3 years. I dumped it for twice what I paid and gave half the profit to Uncle Sam.

We manufacture very little domestically. Shipping costs.

In 1973 you could go to the feed store and buy rabies vaccines. Cheap. More regulation stoppage.

Backhoe is right on. It's not fuel, it's the regulations by gov't on fuels and everything else. Remember what happened when they changed the sulfur content? When they added regulations on processing plants?

Then look at regulations on everything else from building a structure to installing a utility, to buying a tire, to registering to pay tax on everything that burns fuel (non-farm related), to disciplining a youngster. If you don't follow the rules you get to hire an attorney to resolve the issue. It takes time and money. So we cave in for just this one time. And then we do it again and again. Gov't gets bigger and we get more complaisant. Everything gets more expensive.

It's the big oil companies, and the EPA. We pay more for everything and the oil companies make record profits.
But I blame the government first, after all their supposed to be looking out for us.

highgrit":beso7lob said:
It's the big oil companies, and the EPA. We pay more for everything and the oil companies make record profits.
But I blame the government first, after all their supposed to be looking out for us.

I beg to differ it is our wants that have got us to where we are today as well as the government.
The government has two ways to raise capital print it or tax it. They tax our want's much heavier.
How many cars sitting around your house today or your neighbors compared to 40 years ago.
Where I grew up used to be one, most people around here now have more than they can drive.
Again how big is your school parking lot today and that big yellow bus we still pay for running the roads.
Nothing changes from eggs to a gallon of gas no matter what company or farmer they are going to get enough
to cover there cost and make as much profit as the market will bear. Gasoline is not to high hasn't slowed anyone down from driving.
Heck here we are raising the speed limits so can consume even more of it. State likes that tax just as well as the Feds.
We are going to pay for this little act in life's.
Again no matter the company they don't pay taxes or for regulations they collect the fees from me and you.
It doesn't matter what the product start looking at all the hidden taxes and regulations in the product.
The more we want it or need it the deeper the government has their hands into it.
Get to really digging in to the taxes and regulations on alcohol,tobacco and fuel products and the number one profit maker is Uncle Sam.
Tons of hidden taxes we pay.

highgrit":jiicb1wb said:
Figure how much an oil company has fully invested in the ventures, the number of people they employ, the hundreds of millions invested in research and the return on investment is paltry compared to some companies sigh far less investment. "Facebook" is little more than a software program....yet...............

"It doesn't matter what the product start looking at all the hidden taxes and regulations in the product."

This is so true. Look at the recent taxes collected by Colorado on their newest product. Won't be long and every state in the Union will be approving recreational and medicinal weed just for the money. They don't consider the cost to our culture.

Couldn't agree with CB more on this one. Our government "by the people, for the people" is nailing us every way to Sunday and yet we just sit here and take it. I have to get on of my "nerve" pills now it makes me crazy.

Check the price of gasoline in '73. Check the taxes on that same gallon today.

Check the price of a pack of cigarettes in '73. It seems like a carton was $4.25. Check the taxes on a single pack today.

I remember living high on the hog at $30K a year back when. SS paid up and it was like getting a raise. I was in a low tax bracket. Now I have less luxury income at a much higher salary and my tax bracket is 3 times higher.

As much taxes as we currently pay, there is still not enough money.

backhoeboogie":2mlm8x8q said:

Check the price of a pack of cigarettes in '73. It seems like a carton was $4.25. Check the taxes on a single pack today.

I remember living high on the hog at $30K a year back when. SS paid up and it was like getting a raise. I was in a low tax bracket. Now I have less luxury income at a much higher salary and my tax bracket is 3 times higher.

Man you were in high cotton. 1973 the bank president was making $18,000 and was the wealthiest man in town. :lol2:

TexasBred":3onmte2b said:
backhoeboogie":3onmte2b said:

Man you were in high cotton. 1973 the bank president was making $18,000 and was the wealthiest man in town. :lol2:

Poor wording TB. I was working as a bus boy for minimum wage and still in school in '73. It was '81 or so when I broke a 30K plateau.

:roll: because everyone knows that oil and finished products are set by the oil companies and not consumer demand or supply.

It's always amazed me when people take cattle to auction and are happy as heck that they got a premium price from the buyers, glum when they get a discount from the buyers, but then turn around and blame the seller for high prices on fuel and crude.

I'm sure one of you in the oil and gas industry knows what the profit is on each gallon of gas sold at the pump. I'd like to see what that compares to the taxes.

Commercialfarmer":2dxbzprr said:
I'm sure one of you in the oil and gas industry knows what the profit is on each gallon of gas sold at the pump. I'd like to see what that compares to the taxes.

It was posted here one time. The taxes varied state to state. Federal taxes were outrageous for all. Seems like the accumulative total was up there. It may have been CB who provided the figures and a verification source.

Edit: the American Petroleum Institute says the national average taxes for gasoline is 49.72 cents. Diesel is 55.41 cents. That is the average. Some states are much higher.

Googling on the Internet reveals the oil companies profit is between 7 and 8 cents a gallon. Retailers set their own profits. My guess is that all totals are less than a quarter per gallon. You can search and find what I found. Who knows what is credible?

Commercialfarmer":xezqszbm said:
No you wouldn't.
Cost of gas = $3.62
Distribution costs = $.078
Crude cost = $2.58
Fees & Taxes = $.78
Refinery cost & profit = $.184

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/

Retailers, especially in chain convenience stores with many stations, set their prices according to Rack Price, which is set by Oil Price and Information Service (OPIS) and that is a replacement cost----what it will cost to replace the fuel in the retailer's tank. A retailer "can" set a higher price (within state price gouging laws) or a lower price than rack price, it doesn't happen very often. Rack Price changes (assuming it doesn't stay the same as the day before) every day at 5:59 pm Eastern time when the New York market closes. Between 9 and 10am the next morning, the Rack Price from the wholesaler to retailer is available to the retailers. That 10am price is frozen for 24 hours.

OPIS sets the Rack Price according to the Spot Price, which is a trend of what is happening during that particular day's market across the country in demand and useage. It isn't the high of the day or the price at the end of the day's trading, but is an indicator what OPIS believes the market is going to do the next day and overnight.

Neither Rack, Retail, or Spot prices are set by the refiner or producer, any more than beef prices are set by the farmer or rancher.
Anyone here ever been able to go to a sale barn and set the price they will get for their cattle? No? Neither can the refiner.
Can't count the # of times I've had to explain this to various people in my lifetime.
http://www.opisnet.com/about/methodology.aspx
http://www.opisnet.com/about/methodolog ... finedSpots

backhoeboogie":2qmd4vfw said:
Googling on the Internet reveals the oil companies profit is between 7 and 8 cents a gallon. Retailers set their own profits. My guess is that all totals are less than a quarter per gallon. You can search and find what I found. Who knows what is credible?

That is what I have understood to be the case in the past. Was curious if it was backed up by any on here familiar with the industry.

Even if it was 10 times that amount, this country is pretty messed up when the government has no investment in the cost of exploration, drilling, transporting, or refining a product; places a very hefty tax not only on the final product, but any income generated from start to finish of the product, off of mineral owners income, and employees of all the businesses involved; and not to mention any money derived from capital gains of stock holder dividends; and then has the cojones to call the industry providing a needed service to the public, risking large sums of capital and employing thousands of people- greedy and the people living off the pillaging work to make it harder on the productive ones.

Latest posts