Injection pump?

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Massey Ferguson with Perkins diesel.
Start and runs fine for 15 to 30 minutes. Then will start to stumble and die. Will fire on starting fluid but no run.
Come back the next day. Same deal.
Been through the fuel system. Lift pump
Filter , Connections etc.

callmefence":3gckz5zc said:
Start and runs fine for 15 to 30 minutes. Then will start to stumble and die. Will fire on starting fluid but no run.

Do you have a bleeder screw on the injector pump? I had some issues like that and opened the screw and tried to start and it was getting air from somewhere did that a few times and it remedied my issue.

skyhightree1":180p6xgs said:
callmefence":180p6xgs said:

Do you have a bleeder screw on the injector pump? I had some issues like that and opened the screw and tried to start and it was getting air from somewhere did that a few times and it remedied my issue.

Yeah been through that before. But I would have to bleed the system before it would run.

This just needs to set a bit. And she'll start back up.

I did buy a tractor that did that MF 275 I think is what it was and there was a line that came out the tank and some type of valve thing on it that collapsed and after it was replaced was fine.

Fence it could very well be that you have line collapsing or coming apart internally. If it were me I'd start at the line going to the tank and disconnect it. Get a clean bucket of diesel and drop your hose into it. If it will run out of a bucket then it would be something wrong in the tank like the stand pipe or a sock filter possibly. If it doesn't run right then continue to "jump" around components ,if you will, until you get it to run right. PS. I've never been too nervous to "jump" around a filter base for a few minutes to troubleshoot a problem. Just don't leave it that way.

Have you cleaned the screen on top of the lift pump? Very common on my Massey to act the same way screen is plugged with black algae. Gave me fits off and on for a year.
Vette is right to blow the line did the same thing full of black algae.

If it is a Cav pump with electric shut off check the connection on the wire on the bottom.of the pump. I had one on my skidsteer that acted the same way as yours. It was oily and once it heated up a bit the vibration was enough to loose connection and shut the fuel off. It would cool then would start again. Took me months and a lot of head scratching to figure it out.

I would suspect an injector with a bad check valve that is allowing combustion gases to flow back thru the fuel system. It takes a while for the gases (mostly air) to back up to the injector pump and it's why bleeding the system or allowing it to sit awhile will usually restore running condition.

15 years ago bought a Case 930. It ran in the hay field and would quit. After much frustration the tractor was pulled out of the way to sit. That's when I found it.

Turned out to be a clump of dried grass wadded up at the fuel tank outlet. Removed the hose, hooked the grass with a piece of baling wire. Ran fine for years.

Pretty embarrassing to post this, but I felt I should. I'd had the fuel tank shutoff petcock out twice. When you unscrewed it fuel ran out fine. There's a little filter that snaps on the end. It had become stuck enough that it stayed behind when I removed the petcock.
Got up this morning with a fresh set off eyes.
And went to checking everything mentioned. Every thing looked good. Then I stuck a piece of wire in the hole and the dirty little filter falls out. With the tractor running it would eventually clog enough to starve it. After a sit I guess things would settle back down and enough fuel would seep through to run a little while. Can't believe I missed it. :dunce:
Tractors been sitting out there running for two hours now. Thanks everyone, very much.

we can get back to solving all the world's problems. ;-)