Injection pump question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucasbranham

Reaction score
1979 diesel ih574. Injection pump is leaking fuel from a gasket/seal behind housing where the output lines come out of the pump. I've never had one apart. Anyone know if I can remove this housing and replace the gasket without a major problem with my lack of knowledge?
I have a picture of the pump and where it's leaking but I can't get it to post.

take off the line.. might just be a o ring you need to replace.

It's not leaking at the line. There is a cap/housing that has the 4 outlets for the lines on it. It's leaking between this housing and the body of the pump. Just concerned that it's clocked a certain way or something.

If your concerned about how it's clocked or orientated, just make a mark on the cap and body that line up. I use a metal marker or just a scratch.

Ok. I'll give it a shot. I appreciate the advice. I just had a vision in my head of pieces flying everywhere when I took the cap off. Lol.

productCIHIJ1_fullsize.jpg

If this is your pump there are 2 screws that hold down the cap with felt/cork type washers and the levers will have orings and the gasket for the cap. Thats all there is too resealing it. There is no reason to pull the injector off just to do this , but you will have to be able to get up close and personal to detach /attach linkage . be mindful of the position of the spring and linkage they have to be put back in exact holes they come from and if you forget there will be number on the pump and the hole pattern will come in the kit for that number .

Mine doesn't look like that but I imagine it works similarly. How do I post a pic. It used to be easy, but I don't see the option anymore that I used to use.

https://postimg.cc/image/qk4pcqh47/

I'm this far. You can see the 1/8" or so gap where the piece is separating from the pump. But it will not come out. Started taking the metal plate with the two shafts coming through it off of the pump but thought I would ask first.
What next?

Lucasbranham":veuh77i4 said:
https://postimg.cc/image/qk4pcqh47/

I'm this far. You can see the 1/8" or so gap where the piece is separating from the pump. But it will not come out. Started taking the metal plate with the two shafts coming through it off of the pump but thought I would ask first.
What next?
looks like you need the pump off, and it sitting up..before you pull the front off.. To where the banjo works will hopefully stay in place.one thing you don't want is it to go ""wide open throttle"" if you put it back together wrong or bound.. ..https://www.google.com/search?q=bosch+v ... yyU9iyWjdM:

Thanks for the help. I stopped where I was and put it back together today. Had a piece of 2x4 handy to block airflow just in case before I started it. It still runs the same but leaks worse. Gonna take the pump off and have it built at a shop. Decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Latest posts