Ingredient list on a bag of rolled corn...

Help Support CattleToday:

5minpins

Reaction score
This is the label from a bag of plain rolled corn

Rolled Corn
Propionic Acid
Acet Acid
Sorbic
Benoic Acid
Mono-and Diesters of 1,2 Propanediol
Hydrated Ammonium Phosphate
Propyl Benzoate
Propyl Acetate

I did look up some of them, and it still didnt change my mind that I dont need to eat that stuff.

grannysoo":3twglvsn said:
Why can't we have a bag of corn with these ingredients:

Corn
Corn
Corn
(and more corn)

That's what ours have.

grannysoo":3u00vzxt said:
Why can't we have a bag of corn with these ingredients:

Corn
Corn
Corn
(and more corn)

THATS WHAT I WANNA KNOW!!!! I know they want it to have a shelf life and look all pretty but geeeze. I did find a place to buy fresh steam rolled corn, 75 pound bags and it doesnt get moldy in the time it takes you to feed the sack.
Dun do you get yours from a feed store or a mill? I am finding that the chain feed stores only have the preserved type of corn.

5minpins":2cblivs3 said:
Dun do you get yours from a feed store or a mill? I am finding that the chain feed stores only have the preserved type of corn.

I'm thinking it's Nutrena or Kent or one of those. Too lazy to go down to the barn at midnight and look see.

dun":2w1gulcf said:
I'm thinking it's Nutrena or Kent or one of those. Too lazy to go down to the barn at midnight and look see.

I dont think thats to lazy, I think thats kinda smart!

5minpins":buqqsky1 said:
This is the label from a bag of plain rolled corn

Rolled Corn
Propionic Acid
Acet Acid
Sorbic
Benoic Acid
Mono-and Diesters of 1,2 Propanediol
Hydrated Ammonium Phosphate
Propyl Benzoate
Propyl Acetate

I did look up some of them, and it still didnt change my mind that I dont need to eat that stuff.

Most of these are mold inhibitors as well as preservatives. Absolutely no need for them unless the feed mill that's rolling the corn is leaving it extremely high in moisture....Just switch to whole corn...the lable should then say "Corn"...nothing else, although I've seen some say "grain products".

Exactly! I have another place I buy rolled corn when I need it, its just rolled corn nothing else. they buy it in limited quantities though so if they are out and I need some I have to get something else. I never thought to read the label on a bag of corn until the long list of ingredients caught my eye one day while Loading. will stick to the plain and simple feeds.

I use some cracked corn.

I think the lable says cracked corn
50 lb net wt

if it is rolled they probably had to moisten to roll properly and thus the need for mold inhibitors.

We have one mill that does a steam flaked corn to mix in sweet feeds.

Between the moisture and the molasses they told me to be sure not to over order in the summer time. It has a decent shelf life but will mold if you let it set around.

5minpins":cemb2dwf said:
Exactly! I have another place I buy rolled corn when I need it, its just rolled corn nothing else. they buy it in limited quantities though so if they are out and I need some I have to get something else. I never thought to read the label on a bag of corn until the long list of ingredients caught my eye one day while Loading. will stick to the plain and simple feeds.

5Min..I wouldn't waste additional money on rolled corn if you can get whole corn cheaper. It will do just as good a job on the pigs as the other. You can always cover it with water, let it soak overnight and feed it .

TexasBred":3bfjni8k said:
5Min..I wouldn't waste additional money on rolled corn if you can get whole corn cheaper. It will do just as good a job on the pigs as the other. You can always cover it with water, let it soak overnight and feed it .

Let it soak for a few days. That'll keep the pigs happy!

Latest posts