Info share

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Went out to check cows, waterers and feed some ddgs this afternoon like I do each day before heading into work. Poured the ddg pellets out into feeder and let the cows have at them. Went into barn for about 5 minutes, came back out to find the bull laying down right in front of feeder (highly unusual because he is usually feasting at the pellets). I went over and got him up. He walked off about 20 paces and layed down again. He did this 4 -5 more times. Each time alternating between right side and left side (laying on). He is a 2.5yr old angus bull. Very odd behavior as he has never done this before. Since I pulled the cows off corn stalks a month ago, they have been getting a mix of all grass hay bales and alfalfa/grass hay bales. So I'm thinking he is starting to bloat...but he is up, then down, rolling, etc. No bellering. Not any really substantial distention on left side, but his whole belly is packed full (he has a lot of belly anyways). As he was walking off, I observed him drop a flop (flop was normal, pancake like, not too loose, not too dry). I'm thinking bloat still and I may have to poke him with my pocket knife. But, before being hasty, I call my vet who returns my call within 15 minutes. Explain everything, and Doc asks about the ddgs. I explain they are pellets, 18%, and I supplement Ca with them. He is still concerned because the ddgs have high phosphorus (as soon as he said this, I knew where he was heading-renal calculi) I asked about the Ca counteracting that. He says it should, but he sees it in feedlot sometimes where some steers still get calculi and can't urinate(stone plugs urethra) bladder backs up and busts if not caught. In the feedlot, they cut off penis and reroute urethra(similiar to a urostomy for humans). Doc wants to know if he has urinated or if his sheath is moist. Answer was No to both. Doc asks about him stretch g a lot. I say, yes, and he is arching his back downward. Doc says that isn't good. He is trying to pee. About that time, bull stands up and urinate a nice solid, steady stream. I'm instantly relieved. Then he moves some gas (quite violently) out of his back end. After all this, he seems fine, has stopped rolling around and is back to 'normal' before I left for work. Doc says he either pushed a stone through, or he moved enough gas around to get to feeling better. Still wants me to watch him. Make sure he is urinating, moving bowels etc. Just thought I would share the info about the effects of phosphorus and renal calculi (even when supplementing Ca) it can still happen...and the prognosis for a bull is not good when considering the 'repair' for such a problem . Doc did mention an ammonia chloride bolus, but said it's a long shot at best, not very good if he isn't dribbling from his sheath at all.
Sorry so long, just thought I would share. Learned something new today.

Excellent substantive, informative post. Unlike the DDG causes polio posts that used to be regulary made.

Latest posts