inflamation

Help Support CattleToday:

balanjeya

Reaction score
to treat an inflamation must i give both anti inflamatory drug along with antibiotics/

IF THE INFLAMMATION IS CAUSED FROM AN INFECTION SUCH AS BACTERIA IN A WOUND THEN YES YOU SHOULD TREAT WITH BOTH. IF NOT THEN YOU SHOULD TRY TO FIND THE CAUSE OF THE INFLAMMATION TO TREAT IT AS WELL.

It depends on the circumstances. We've had animals with abcesses, the usual infections, hoof rot, etc. that were treated with antibiotics, but not anti-inflammatories. As the infection cleared up, so did the inflammation. I think it's a personal call that is dependent on how much money you want to spend along with possible other variables - such as this being a show animal or a young calf that the inflammation is causing problems for.

balanjeya":1ovcbhx3 said:
TheBullLady":1ovcbhx3 said:
Inflamation of what? What symptoms or what is the problem?

inflamation of the udder

Prime example of why you should be specific when asking questions! :lol:

Inflammation related to an infection - say footrot - would be treated with antibiotics and possibly banamine or dexamethasone for their anti-inflammatory properties and pain relief.

Inflammation of the udder because of infection - mastitis - would be treated first and foremost with antibiotics. Again, anti-inflammatory wouldn't hurt.

Inflammation of the udder because the cow is close to calving - aka edema - would not be treated with antibiotics because there is no infection. Either Salix (furosemide) or Dexamethasone or Predef (latter two anti-inflammatory steriods) can be used to treat edema. There's also one other for edema that I believe starts with an "N"; it's a combination of dex and something else.

Remember dex and predef are corticosteriods, and they can induce labor in a bred cow. It is OK at some stages of pregnancy, but I wouldn't use it in a 2nd and certainly not 3rd trimester cow. Banamine does not fall into that catagory and is safe for bred cows.

Latest posts