infertility

Help Support CattleToday:

balanjeya

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am new to this forum. I am hoping to get your kind help and advices.

My dairy cow is not pregnant for the past three years.I have tried with all the neccesary hormone therapy and also the CIDR.
Please advice

Ship her. Fertility is an issue with dairy cows, not only from condition and diet but it just seems that some don;t settle. We've been messing with a heifer at the dairy for 6 monyths and can;t get her to settle. Had a cow with a uterine infection that was treated and supposedly cleaned up. When I bred her the other night on a good strong standing heat, there was cheese on the sheath again. Unless she's a house pet she's a prime candidate for dinner at mcdonalds.

dun

If she has been with the bull that long and you know that the bull is good (semen tested or at least getting the other cows bred)and you have seen the bull breed her....then I would agree with Dun's advice. Ship her or keep her for a pet.

not pregnant for 3 years?...I wouldn't spend my time and money on a cow that cant produce...get rid of her

Sounds like a good case of dog food to me.

If a cow loses her calf, how profitable is that? I don't care what the situation is, get rid of them. The market has been good for too long to deal with that. That's why some herds are the way they are. ............."She's a real nice cow, and she's real nice when she calves, but the calves are always dead".

Get rid of her.

ENNOT":s4umrina said:
I don't care what the situation is, get rid of them. The market has been good for too long to deal with that. That's why some herds are the way they are. ............."She's a real nice cow, and she's real nice when she calves, but the calves are always dead".

Get rid of her.

Oh, I see, thanks for clarifying this issue for me - the neighbor doesn't know diddly squat about ranching or bulls, he buys a vibrio infected bull from somewhere, the bull jumps/goes through the fence and your cow(s) contract vibrio and aborts - that's the cow's fault, though, because she didn't require him to wear a condom? Or how about you're a newbie and don't know the benefits of bangs vaccinating - one cow contracts brucellosis and proceeds to transmit it throughout your herd. I guess that is the cow's fault too, huh? How about this - you're a newbie and don't know how to feed your cows properly, resulting in them being underweight and having problems breeding back - I suppose that's the cows fault, too? I'm thinking you need to get a clue about raising cattle, what is the cow's fault and what is your fault - otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly and selling off potentially good genetics that could help your herd grow substantially! :roll: :roll: :roll:

msscamp":3e6ia0ln said:
ENNOT":3e6ia0ln said:
I don't care what the situation is, get rid of them. The market has been good for too long to deal with that. That's why some herds are the way they are. ............."She's a real nice cow, and she's real nice when she calves, but the calves are always dead".

Get rid of her.

Oh, I see, thanks for clarifying this issue for me - the neighbor doesn't know diddly squat about ranching or bulls, he buys a vibrio infected bull from somewhere, the bull jumps/goes through the fence and your cow(s) contract vibrio and aborts - that's the cow's fault, though, because she didn't require him to wear a condom? Or how about you're a newbie and don't know the benefits of bangs vaccinating - one cow contracts brucellosis and proceeds to transmit it throughout your herd. I guess that is the cow's fault too, huh? How about this - you're a newbie and don't know how to feed your cows properly, resulting in them being underweight and having problems breeding back - I suppose that's the cows fault, too? I'm thinking you need to get a clue about raising cattle, what is the cow's fault and what is your fault - otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly and selling off potentially good genetics that could help your herd grow substantially! :roll: :roll: :roll:

The cow needs to be culled. If you try to breed her for 3 years and she will not settle . she is a cull.
If you get bangs in your herd your going to have alot of culls. :lol:

WORANCH":vzi4e1h8 said:
msscamp":vzi4e1h8 said:
ENNOT":vzi4e1h8 said:

Get rid of her.

The cow needs to be culled. If you try to breed her for 3 years and she will not settle . she is a cull.
If you get bangs in your herd your going to have alot of culls. :lol:

I agree 100% that any cow that does not settle within a 3 year period (actually considerably less than that) is a cull, my point of contention was with the statement "I don't care what the situation is".

That cow has cost you a feed bill for three years, plus no weaned calves to sell during that time. Cull her and your operation will immediately take a step in the right direction.

msscamp":1g9wfddx said:
ENNOT":1g9wfddx said:

Get rid of her.

Excellent post MSSCAMP!

Latest posts