infected naval

Help Support CattleToday:

bchilders

Reaction score
I bought several bottle fed calves today this one was born
2-28-06. After I got a good look at him I noticed his naval
(don't know the technical term) was infected. There is a small 1-2 cm opening with white puss (not oozing). I cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, flushing thoroughly, and sprayed with blue lotion. He is also the only one scouring. I gave 3cc's LA 200 under skin (I don't know when to administer intramuscularly and when under skin-I also don't know what antibiotic is best for what problems) and used "Advance Calf Medic" medicated milk replacer that says on the package is for the treatment of scouring claves with the "maximum medication level of oxytetracycline and neomycin base allowed." I had a packet of this on hand and thought I would try it. He is very active, no droopy ears or lethargy. I've read a lot tonight on treating scours and have a plan for tomorrow. Was any of what I did right or helpful? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I handle most of the cattle problems with the help of my neighbor ( I am very willing to learn). Thanks for any help - Beth

You're on the right track. We treat naval infection with LA200 and spray the navel with iodine a couple times a day. We give all meds SubQ unless bottle calls for IM only.

Either LA200 or Nuflor for navel infection...knock it out fast, those can be major problems. I'd go with a higher dose on LA200 or Nuflor...say 5cc's on LA or 6cc's on Nuflor. Repeat in 48 hours regardless of if the calf seems well. I tend to dose a little higher than the label calls for anyways, but both drugs are relatively safe.

Milkmaid - or anyone else - how do you decide how much to overdose? What meds would you NOT do this with? Have done this a few times myself. Usually because I'm at wits end of anything else to do. Then I go with my motto of, it'll either cure 'em or kill 'em - either way, they're better off. Just looking for something so I don't have to use that motto.

Latest posts