Infected anal glands

Help Support CattleToday:

They can become abscessed, sometimes need removing especially in small breeds. Best to talk to your Vet about them if they are a real problem. You can express them yourself if they are not too bad by using paper towel or the like either side of anus and squeezing or better with one finger up the gringo and thumb outside to squeeze individually. They are in the 4 and 8 o'clock position.

Ken

They can become abscessed, sometimes need removing especially in small breeds. Best to talk to your Vet about them if they are a real problem. You can express them yourself if they are not too bad by using paper towel or the like either side of anus and squeezing or better with one finger up the gringo and thumb outside to squeeze individually. They are in the 4 and 8 o'clock position.

Ken
Ain't no way!! Precisely why vets make more $$$ on dogs/cats than large animals. That smell is worse than foot rot or a retained placenta! I had to take one of my Labs in regularly when he was a pup - if he didn't pop 'em by scooting on the rug first. So gross!

You all make me giggle, then make me wonder about my sanity. We have an aussie that tried to kill himself on Ivermectin horse dewormer a few years ago (he ate 2 full tubes- mustve forgot he was 5 still) and since then his glands havent worked right, I suspect some kidney damage as he and I got real close for several days sleeping under the stars while he puked blood clots and bile. We do an enema every 3 months and I manually express his glands every two weeks. Once you get over the smell and the sound, its all good and saves me in particular a trip to town with a cranky old farm dogs who hates muzzles and some cash as well. Plenty of Youtube videos and a good pair of surgical gloves and lube and off you go.

Ain't no way!! Precisely why vets make more $$$ on dogs/cats than large animals. That smell is worse than foot rot or a retained placenta! I had to take one of my Labs in regularly when he was a pup - if he didn't pop 'em by scooting on the rug first. So gross!
Put on surgical gloves and squeeze both sides but don't stand behind bowzer ... no big deal ...

Latest posts